Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torque converter..... recommendations

Interesting, in tank filter only one I have left to do. I’ve had a look on roughtrax but couldn’t find it do you have a link to what you need up buying?
Don’t have a link. Bought it from Toyota dealership I will dig out the invoice so you have the part number

Just a thought before you dive into the TC, when you changed your tank sock filter, was it badly plugged, did you check/clean out your tank?

The thought being, you had several days running trouble free as a marked improvement over running before (am I correct here?), if you just changed the sock and there’s heaps of crud or diesel bug in the tank it could conceivably have blocked back up again. If you emptied and cleaned out the tank, all should be well but if you just changed the sock, maybe it’s worth another quick check just to be sure before pulling the trigger.

The TC is repairable, I've heard. One of the 100's in my local LC club didn't get the TC changed on the factory warranty, and took it to a auto repair shop where they fixed it and put it back in. I think he could have had it covered by t0yota with a bit of effort.
Maybe it's still possible even, as a goodwill, if records show that that VIN has not had the converter changed, as it should have had according to the TSB.

Got to be worth asking the question of Toyota, presumably Japan?

Well that would be a bonus, if of course there is a fault directly within the unit itself. Given what's inside my question would be why the fault only appears under certain conditions. The spare one I have sitting here (yes an 80 series) if fully seam welded. You could cut it open and weld it back together I suppose. But if you look at what else is associated with the whole of the drive section, there's a whole load of other components that I'd be considering first. Things like the pump for example. You have to ask if, when people talk about the TC being faulty whether the mean the TC unit itself or the TC as a system.

PS I missed Flint's post about cracking them open. Interesting

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 08.05.38.jpg

The clue for me is that it happens on the overrun. Slowing down only. The bit that comes into play then is the sprag clutch. Presumably this needs to be well aligned to lock and release as it should. If a bearing or sleeve were damaged and allowed the clutch to engage off centre, maybe it would then be reluctant to release unless helped in some way such as applying throttle.

The other clue is that it seems that it might be holding in a high gear. One maybe holds the other.

This is all a bit of a mystery to me and not sure if the following is of relevance, but after doing a bit of searching, it seems that there is a bearing in the stator (torrington roller bearing, though I think that the illustration below is non Toyota and Torrington is a trade name). It seems that if this goes bad, the stator doesn't spin properly which can affect pressure in the gearbox and cause various problems....including shudder. Perhaps this is the bearing meant ??
Torque-Converter-callouts.jpg

Sorry the bit I highlighted was simply where I'd clicked on the diag. No relevance at all.

Looking at the exploded view, the internals bear close resemblance to a jet engine, which is not surprising really. Clearly speeds and temperatures are vastly different along with the operating environment, but knowing the cracks that can exist in the static jet engine blades I can see where cracks and stresses could well occur and if a bearing were to be on the way out the potential for wear and poor performance creeps in with any slight misalignment.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I’ve booked her in for the Tc works, got it for just over 1k with 12m warranty. It’s going in on Monday. I will ask them to report back on the bit/s that were US so we can all learn. Hopefully I can now get back to the overland prepping.

Just picked “Thomas” up from the garage and handed over 1k. TC replaced and no juddering. Clutch plate was warn and slightly warped apparently, though I didn’t get to see the mechanism as the replacement part was on A swap out basis. I did however loose throttle response on the way home. I will start a new tread about this. Then if it stays dry I am going to fit my new front runner rack this afternoon....

Just picked “Thomas” up from the garage and handed over 1k. TC replaced and no juddering. Clutch plate was warn and slightly warped apparently, though I didn’t get to see the mechanism as the replacement part was on A swap out basis. I did however loose throttle response on the way home. I will start a new tread about this. Then if it stays dry I am going to fit my new front runner rack this afternoon....
Great news. Not so great about the throttle response though I see from your other thread you’ve got a solid remedy on that already. Hope that’s the end of your troubles.

hi all, you may remember I cancelled my TC works whilst I tried to sort the starting and running issues. Well I think these are resolved full service done. Genuine fuel filter fitter. In tank filter changed.

So I a have been driving her for a few short trips to get some confidence back with her and today I got the shudder back. Just the once pulling into some lights, and when I think back most of the stalling/stopping issues I had previously would haven be when I would be changing down (if it were a manual) so time to bite the bullet and get it done.

I’ve been trying to get hold of overland cruisers since end of December, phone and email, sent them one last message today then will give up. I have one quote but welcome recommendations for companies to undertake the work. I live in North Leicestershire and will travel for a good service (up to 100miles).
How Many Goes. I have the same problem and i am 100% sure its the TC, I've had the same problem with Julian at Overland Cruisers no response at all. Are you happy with the work you had done on your Cruiser as I'm trying to find someone i can have confidence in to work on my 100 ? Thanks for a great post.

How Many Goes. I have the same problem and i am 100% sure its the TC, I've had the same problem with Julian at Overland Cruisers no response at all. Are you happy with the work you had done on your Cruiser as I'm trying to find someone i can have confidence in to work on my 100 ? Thanks for a great post.
Hi

Yes I was and still am happy with the work undertaken. I got 5 quotes from various places, they weren’t the cheapest it had a good rep so went with them.

Company DK autos in Leicester

Hi

Yes I was and still am happy with the work undertaken. I got 5 quotes from various places, they weren’t the cheapest it had a good rep so went with them.

Company DK autos in Leicester
Thanks very much for your help..

Back