Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tow bar electrics advice needed

Diagram always good flint, just confirms what I explained previously.

As the OP stated he is fitting from NEW, then nothing is connected at all so touching wires at the socket end to find which is which wont work until spliced into toyota loom to give power to anything inside socket. As Shayne indicated he was replacing an existing socket, his wiring was already connected to Toyota loom, that's why touching wires at the socket may have worked for him. The plug on the trailer must have been previously wired and plugged in to the new socket as he worked, ? and relavent lights checked on the trailer for operation to know if he had the right ones connected, or used a plug in trailer light tester. Without that, just watching the vehicles indicators, lights and brake lights with a brick on the pedal would only confirm the vehicles operation, not the towing socket.

I don't have the details anymore as I fitted my towbar long ago, but I did manage to find a Toyota OEM loom off eBay. This connected to either side underneath the rear with the relay housed behind where the jack is kept. Bumper off job to fit it.

Ah , i was sat on the road with a trailer board making sure each wire lit the same as tail lights .

I have found a company on ebay that has a plug-in setup for £80, It'll save loads of grief and can't argue for that price. See what they say on the 4th of Jan when they get back to work.

Go for it bones. Plug in inherently better than identifying wires and splicing into loom.

Well I have finally after a bit of chasing found and fitted my new plug and play harness. I bought one off ebay but then found that they didn't have any stock and couldn't get hold of any any more, back to more internet searching and found a company that could supply one and I order it. I bought it from a company called Trodo.com it was sent from Latvia and was made by a company called Brink and is very good quality and pretty easy to fit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done bones. Brink are a major player in towbars, at the top end in prices and quality and often supplying dealers/manufacturers when a tow bar is requested from new as an option.

Back