Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Red Coolant

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
There's been many mentions of Toyota Red Coolant on lots of threads. I finally found an explanation on Youtoob of different coolants, Toyota Red even gets a mention. Ok the video was offered, in fact I’ve managed to watch several of this guys videos and they all seem to be informative. I say managed, well, he has his own sort of ‘assault on the senses’ style which is probably best tackled in small doses.

Finally moved onto the red coolent Richard when I changed the radiator and was told 10 years life. One thing I was told the other day was the longer coolent stays enclosed without being open to air the better it’s going to proform.
Also was servicing my fathers 2009 smart car the other day looked at the factory coolant having never changed it and was told it’s fine.

Yes the guys interesting having watched his videos over the years especially th mercedes brake disc one...lol

Don't confuse the OAT red Toyota stuff for the new HOAT for life stuff. I maintain there is nothing special about the basic red Toyota coolant and no benefit over the stuff from your local motor factor. These are 20 year old lorry engines. My RAV had that pink stuff in. It was very clearly different. Some people are using it in engines that tend to run hot. Because it has no water in it, it can't boil like normal coolant.

I used the Halfords pink OAT stuff which, I think, has a 5 year life. The only permanent ‘for life’ coolants I know of are the waterless variety (Evans etc) which require pre flushing to remove all traces of the water based stuff. IMO the red Toyota stuff is just a generic EG based coolant, the like of which you can get just about anywhere. As long as it’s compatable with aluminium and not ethanol based (which I don’t think you can buy anymore anyway) it’ll do the job.

I use the Toyota stuff but it was cheaper to buy a 20L barrel, it was just over £20 from the parts dept.

He looks like John Lennon, Imagine.

I've just changed mine, I used what the FSM told me to, Toyota pink super long life.

What came out looked as good as the new stuff I put in.

... so its the pink are super long life.
../ in my rig, if I need a few drops I just add water.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Gary820,

Can you tell me the "Toyota stuff" you used? And the Toyota dealer you used? As £20 is a very good deal, and I want some.

This is the one I use, it's from my local dealer in York and it's a trade deal. They have various offers on for consumables for trade account customers (I have an account and get good prices)

20180421_182800.jpg

The coolant hadn't been changed for a few years (even with a Toyota history) so I did a flush/change then did the same after about 1k miles.

How much water did you add? And why did you need to add any liquid? Was there a leak?

... I remember that I add a bout 150ml of water, only once I did it. I remember the level of fluid in the reservoir was not in "F" indication.. so a bit worried because its summer so I add a water....
any harmful it may cause?

Back