Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota reverse sensors

chugga90

My recently new to me 100 V8 has the parking sensors in the bumper.
I am not that keen on them, but they did work when I got it, discovered today that they now do not work.
Any clues where to start looking to solve it as this is type of thing is new to me and do not have a clue what to start with?

Thanks

Have you had any work done on the car between them working and now not working? Wouldn't be the first time a tow bar fitter forgot to reconnect them, for example.

I have just removed my reversing sensors and the whole system. Its not very complicated at all. There is switch on the gear lever which when put in reverse triggers a current to a small box on the left hand side rear panel behind the plastic body work.

This then detects whats behind you from the sensors which plug in.

Each sensor has 2 wires and a small plug. Check them first.

If no sensors are connected the system should still beep.

They still worked after fitting the towbar, I was surprised how little they pick up when a trailer is hitched!
But Warren has a valid point. They do not make the beep noise when reverse is engaged, but I cannot recall when this stopped? I think it was after the LPG system was fitted as I do think it still did it then?
Any clues where they are fed from? or where the control mdule is for it to see if there is power to them?

Thanks

Control module is/was on the passenger side of my 100. I had to remove the lower plastic moulding which involved removing both seatbelts and then unclipping the plastic moulding.

The module was stuck onto the body behind the jack and slightly higher. Its about 2x the size of a fag packet and has 2 connectors.

You have a feed wire running from the front to tell the control module when the car is in reverse and then from the module you have the wires to the sensors and power/ground.

I removed all of mine and it will all end up on ebay if you want/need any bits make me an offer as I would be happy to let it all go for £20.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Warren & John,

Some of that makes sense now!
When the fellow fitted the gas filler he wanted to put it in the body and that means the easiest place he can get at!
The jack & tools were in the boot loose when I got it back, so either he has dislodged something or I have when trying to find a place to fit the stuff back in.
I did not want the blessed thing there to start with but when you see how easy it is for him to do that it all made sense!
I will go and see what is what with that after lunch!
Hopefully will have a solution to the issue very soon.
Thank you. :pray:

Well thats fixed!
The LPgenius had disconnected the earth to it when fiddling in the space the jack should live in!
Got the dreadful noise and evrything back now! Have also discovered that there is a volume control for it when I have had enough of it! Combination of that and the hearing aids should lessen the impact.

Thanks for your help

Back