Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Training course suggestions?

darylh

My girlfriend and I were planning on a self-drive 4x4 trip next year for our honeymoon (http://www.safaridrive.com/index.htm, unfortunately they use Land Rovers but hopefully there will be lots of landcruiser drivers around in Namibia to help out when we breakdown). All up the trip, including airfares, will cost around £8k. After some discussions we have been thinking about putting that money towards buying a Landcruiser and driving to Morocco instead.

We would like to try out some offroad driving to see if we like it as much as we think we will, before we buy a Landcruiser. Can anyone suggest any good offroad courses we could go on in the UK (for a day/weekend) or any other ways we can try off-roading out?

Kind regards,
Daryl

Ladywell,
London.

Welcome to the forum, there are plenty of members on here who will be able to asssit you on your questions. I would say £8k seems quite steep but not knowing all the details would not want to comment too much.

I would certainly guess you could do what you want within budget and still have the landcruiser for use or sale there after.

Best of luck.

Come along to the next Limcomb to have a looksee at a bunch of cruisers playing on the farm :cool:

The pictures start around HERE

And welcome to the forum too - love your plans :mrgreen:

Cheers

Gav Peter said:
Come along to the next Limcomb to have a looksee at a bunch of cruisers playing on the farm :cool:

Good way to have a go and see whether it's what you want to do. I'm sure you'd get a chance to have a go in a few cruisers. I'm more than happy for you to take mine out round the farm and learn a few skills :thumbup:

Thanks for the posts. Limcomb sounds great. I managed to find the sign-up sheet for the May weekend but not October. Could someone please post a link.

The October sign up sheet hasn't been published yet will will be out fairly soon I believe, so keep checking the Function Room section on the forum. the Guys are spot on to mention Lincomb as a great place to have a good feel for what things are like, everyone who attends are really friendly and will make you most welcome.

The terrain at Lincomb in my opinion offers a fantastic array of challenges that would be hard pressed to be found at any Pay and Play site and possibly at any paid for 4x4 training venue.

Hope to see your there in October. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trevor said:
and possibly at any paid for 4x4 training venue
Lincomb gets used as a professional 4x4 driver training venue :thumbup:

The other thing you could try is going to one of the Landrover Experience centres where you get to go round an offroad course with an instructor. I think there are several dotted around the country.

Or look up your nearest BORDA or LANTRA training team and pay them some money to train you up. Expensive, I'm told, but for a beginner probably worthwhile.

Or join the military (or TF) and learn on their time, money and kit :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
Or look up your nearest BORDA or LANTRA training team and pay them some money to train you up. Expensive, I'm told, but for a beginner probably worthwhile.

Or join the military (or TF) and learn on their time, money and kit :lol:

Done both and teach (not qualified yet) it to the 4x4 response Wales. I have also done the NPTC Training, but again I have not passed out so to speak, just not had the time. I am LANRTA qualified winch operative. Don't bother with the LR course or the BORDA one. Both are not worth the money.

If you are going to pay do the LANTRA or even better the NPTC as it covers a bit of winching.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
Don't bother with the LR course
Not a course Paul, just a drive in the woods with an instructor to find out what this 4x4 lark is like.

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Paul_Humphreys":3bvqsxxp]Don't bother with the LR course
Not a course Paul, just a drive in the woods with an instructor to find out what this 4x4 lark is like.[/quote:3bvqsxxp]

Not quite Jon, you can even get a qualification with them. As I know someone who is trained to do the course.

The drive around is the one you get when you buy a new LR or if you go to a show room and say your thinking of getting one (but not always).

Paul

You don't have to buy a LR to go on the drive about half days now, last I heard anyway, the experience centres are having to earn their keep more these days. I know they can train you to get qualifications but I don't think that's what the OP was after.

Back