Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TRANSFER BOX need some advice new member

Ah Well . . . It seems all was not well.

I made a wooden cradle on a heavy wood base with a couple of ratchet straps to hold it down and then added a wooden frame and sides.

I should have made it a bit wider, one of the detector switch leads got rubbed off when it moved in transit.

It was packed around with cardboard and bubble wrap but that didn't save it.

Not to worry, Haz can swap the switch from his faulty box and send the damaged switch back to me (I think I have a spare somewhere).

There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Bob.

Well, it sounds as though its all working properly now.

Haz is working for the next few days (he works in a Hospital - I don't know his role / shifts / hours) so I may get the old box to play with next week.

Next, we need pictures :thumbup: .

Bob.

Well, at last I received the old Transfer Box from Haz (he and his family went down with Covid - which added to the delay :doh:).

First sight of a future project -

DSCN0311.JPG

Hmmmmm, the cradle I made didn't survive - must do better ("Build Back Stronger" ??? Who said that ??) :doh:.

DSCN0315.JPG

First impressions are not good. I can't turn any of the shafts or move the selectors (I didn't try brute force).

DSCN0317.JPG

This indicates why - solid, hardened oily mess.

DSCN0318.JPG

This is going to be an interesting challenge.

But it will have to wait - because . . . .

My 'Craftsman' ride-on mower has expired. It was blowing clouds of blue smoke and clanking, the plug was fouling every ten minutes or so.

DSCN0322.JPG

That's a Briggs & Stratton 19.5 HP 500cc single cylinder motor.

With a blown head gasket :angry-screaming:.

Worse, there are low points on the block and head.

low point on block.JPG

Low point on head.JPG

If you thought Toyota parts were pricy, you should see a Briggs & Stratton price list :doh:.

I am currently setting the crank case up under the Mill in order to take a couple of thou' off the face, just enough to true it up. Then I'll do the same with the head.

The bore isn't very worn, but the ring gap was 37 thou - so a new set of rings is on order (and I'll hone the bore)

Its just as well we're being urged not to cut our lawns during May :icon-wink: .

Meanwhile, back in Toyota land . . . . .

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Transfer box is chain driven and for some reason the d4d seems to stretch it , same box as the 1kz so your should be able to find a used box from a breaker . Last time i looked a new chain was 300 odd quid and that must have been at least 3 years ago .
Hi I have a j95 1kz automatic with an explodet TB are you sure I can fit a TB from a j95 with a 1kd automatic?
Best regards Simon

Simon,

Reading this thread again I see that 'Haz' has a D4D and the re-built box I sent him fitted OK so I think that proves that a '90' TB fits both a 1KZ and a 1KD.

See my post on that other parallel thread.

Bob.

Back