Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TRANSFER BOX need some advice new member

Haz-d4d

Country Flag
uk
Hi everyone
I’ve just recently purchased a swb landcruiser Colorado on 2002 d4d
In need of advice and help
I left the jeep Landcruiser parked up for a few days I then drove her and all of a sudden could hear a loud noise under acceleration like my mud tyres where hitting my arches.
After investigation and research it’s my transfer box.

I can’t find anyone that has a spare anywhere around my town and no one is giving me sensible quotes to repair .

Does anyone know what I could do or point me as too who may have one or where I could repair for reasonable price.

Also what could I do to prevent my transfer box going in the future ?

Kind Regards
Haz

Last edited by a moderator:
is it a thump rather than a bang , does it happen when you release the clutch after changing up a gear ?

So first it’s was a lound clanking noise like mud tyres hitting the arch or like a chain slipping on teeth sort of noise and now if I drive easy as soon as I go above 5mph it’s will sound like there’s something in the transfer box is scrapping in circles a bit like calipers grinding on inside of the wheel sort of noise when I slow down to around 5mph it’s gone again

Transfer box is chain driven and for some reason the d4d seems to stretch it , same box as the 1kz so your should be able to find a used box from a breaker . Last time i looked a new chain was 300 odd quid and that must have been at least 3 years ago .

Theres a vid on youtube of i think it was a Russian guy taking a couple of links out of the chain to cure the problem if you can find it .

Bobmurphy on here had a couple of refurbished boxes not cheap but good as new ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have repaired eight or nine 90-Series Transfer Boxes, a full restoration isn't cheap (around £1,000).

There are differences between Transfer Boxes (TBs) on auto and manual gearboxes - which do you have ?

The most common problem I have had to fix is a burst Central Differential Planet Carrier - usually caused by driving on a dry road with the centre differential locked (TB lever in the forward position). Were you driving with the Centre Diff locked (intentionally or otherwise) ?

Ha Ha, Shayne has just put up a comment while I'm typing . . I wasn't going to offer you one of my refurbished boxes but I could repair yours for the cost of parts if you can do without the truck for a couple of weeks. That would be the cheapest option - cheap being relative, these are Toyotas - A worry, currently, is that Toyota seem to have a supply problem so getting parts may be an issue. The last time I spoke to Simon Holton he was unable to get me a rear bumper support panel for my '100', or batteries for the electric RAV4s.

Where are you (I'm just outside Edinburgh) ?

My refurbished boxes are both for Manual Gearboxes, I do have another one that's from an Auto but I haven't stripped it and checked it over yet (the jobs are piling up !).

Are you able to remove the Transfer Box yourself? if you have to use a garage the car will have to stay there until the repaired box is returned, which is not good.

Let us know what you can do and what has to be done by a garage, I'm sure we can arrive at a solution that gets you back on the road ASAP.

Bob.

Last edited:
Hi yes so it’s a manual 5 speed I have a feeling it’s the chain

I’m from Bradford and Yes with all respect £1000 would be a bit out of budget

I don’t mind you repairing mine but then again I will have to have it removed how long of a process rough with back logs and delays do you think it would take?

Also if you was to repair it what would you say it would roughly cost in parts and what would you charge in labour?

Do you know anyone that would potentially have a second hand one that I could also buy?

Would you recommended getting a second hand one or would you say refurb it ?

Lot of luck involved buying a second hand box but if Bob repairs it then it will likely outlast you , the man's nuts he strips and rebuilds transfer boxes for entertainment !

Would you recommended getting a second hand one or would you say refurb it ?

My view is that they are second hand for a reason - so I would say 'refurbish it'.

The last time I bought a drive chain (2017) it cost £301.45, a replacement Planet Carrier was £148.44.

By the time you add up the cost of bearings, oil seals, gaskets, bolts, special bits as above the cost is around £1,000. If I was just replacing one or two parts it would probably come to around £250. I don't charge for my time - its something I do for Club Members.

Of the two I have; the better one has cost £1,203.95, the lesser one £978.17. They are too expensive - no-body wants to spend that much so they are sitting taking up space.

I pay £200 for a broken one that I can repair, so, if you send me yours you can have the cheaper one for £500 - how does that sound?

Carriage is about £50 . . . These things weigh 50 Kilos.

Probably the best thing is for me to send you the TB, you get them swapped and then use the box to send me your old one (DRAIN THE OIL !).

Better PM me your address details, we can discuss finance off-line.

Bob.

Yes Bob that sounds really good to and I appreciate the love

I really appreciate all the help too from Shane and Bob

Ironically my d4d90 has a stretched chain i think , i got hold of a cheap auto box though mine is manual planning to pull it apart for a look inside ,perhaps i could swap the chains .

Nowhere near as bad as yours and as time went on the mrs and me both sort of subconsciously learned to drive it so it never makes the noise so it lost importance .

I should have sent them both to you Bob when you posted up your refurbished boxes an age ago and my finances were in better shape .

Haz,

I have sent you a "Conversation" (PM) - just reply to me there.

Bob.

Bob's boxes would undoubtedly be the best bet. However i got lucky buying a second hand box (mine split when I overtightened the drain plug - not clever: a moment of madness with a breaker bar). It is a gamble of course but how many scrapped Colorados will have a sound transfer box? I'm guessing a high percentage.

I've no money for my toys right now Bob so i won't be doing anything until i'm earning again but maybe at a later date i could drive the injured truck up to you , i'm really very confident it will soldier on for decades yet .

The auto's transfer box i have is an unknown and could be good the guy i bought it off had no idea what it was , he inherited it .

Last edited:
Well, according to 'Interparcel tracking' the Transfer Box was delivered to Haz at 08:07 this morning.

Hopefully it survived the journey to Bradford; I hope he has a screwdriver :whistle: .

IMG_0641.JPG

Bob.

Back