Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfercase viscous coupling

Ahh. Was it noisy at all in the usual way? I've built a fair few of these now and I've found that no amount of setting up, new bearings, preload or patterning will get rid of front diff whine. I stick a new R&P in by default now. If it's not noisy then resetting the backlash and preload, maybe new bearings will do it. Wear isn't necessarily a problem, it's when it's the wrong sort of wear.

Once things have moved about in there I have found getting a pattern on them is almost impossible. A new set of gears and you can get a pattern right off the bat.

Going to be like a new one when you've finished. Still a shame that you've lost the VC though.

When I built it back up originally I adjusted the bearings so the backlash was back in spec, and it whined it’s head off, but has become quiet now, I’m still in mind to swap the axle case again as mine has had to be welded, but the one I have isn’t for a locker type. A little cutting and drilling and it will be fine..It could be time to rebuild it properly then with some new parts and washer mod for castor

it’s a long way from all the jobs being done, but it’s getting better,,slowly!

Got my CDL switch fitted today, and everything is working as it should. Have to say I noticed a difference while driving through the icy farmyard without the VC and the wheels spinning up!

hit that cdl switch. i drive with it constantly engaged on snow covered roads.

Back