Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo red warning light

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
While I was in Croatia recently, halfway through the trip the red turbo light started coming on at anything above 2200 revs, which as we had been travelling some very dusty tracks I thought may have been caused by a dirty air filter but since fitting a new filter the light is still coming on, any ideas what may be causing it chaps? It's not a great problem, at least it keeps me within the speed limits ;)

I believe it’s a warning for high turbo boost pressure. It’s set to come on when boost pressure exceeds something like 14 or 15 PSI.

Yes, I did know that, but why should it start coming on when there have been no alterations or adjustments to the engine?

Cannot really answer that, but I would check the boost pressure with an accurate gauge.
Anything mechanical wears, and move out of adjustment over time.
This is a simple test and a good starting point, I would suggest.

I'm away to Germany with the missus next week, but I've got a few jobs lined up for Julian V when I get back, I know he's got a boost gauge so I'll get him to check it for me.

Cossack said:
I'm away to Germany with the missus next week, but I've got a few jobs lined up for Julian V when I get back, I know he's got a boost gauge so I'll get him to check it for me.

I just picked my truck up from Julian’s, he’s a busy man.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chas,

On thinking about it, the other thing I seem to remember you saying is that you adjusted the fuel pump settings not so long ago. The fuel pump settings go hand in hand with boost, one can affect the other.

That's right, they were adjusted by Greg to reduce the black smoke it was puffing out, but that was quite a few weeks before the turbo light started coming on.

Less fuel, should not give it more boost. Julian will get to the bottom of it anyhow.

Chas, maybe have a quick inspection of the wiring around/underneath the air filter housing. When I fitted my snorkel, I forgot to reconnect one of the wires after refitting the airbox and the turbo warning light came on. if you had a bad contact or a wire with cracked insulation, it could cause intermittent problems.
I agree that it wouldn't really fit your symptoms of the light coming on above 2200rpm but is something you can check easily enough.

Cheers,

Check that none of the pipe connections to the waste gate are split / leaking.

I had this problem where the T for my boost bleed valve joins the wastegate pipe, the connection that was fitted when the intercooler went in was not air tight, a quick tighten & that was it.

Andy

Andy said:
Check that none of the pipe connections to the waste gate are split / leaking. Andy
That was it Andy, while Greg :ugeek: was fitting a new 120a alternator for me he noticed a tube from the waste gate was perished and leaking, one piece of rubber tube later and problem solved :thumbup:

Back