Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre recomendations

jackie-0

Country Flag
sweden
Hi,

I dont know if this subject has been done to death but I´m looking to get some advice on new tyres.

Currently in Sweden an by law I need to change to summer tyres by end of March.

Narrowed it down to 3 options;

1) Cooper Discoverer ATT

2) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S

3) Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

Opt. 2 and 3 have the benefit of being rated for snow which means I could run them all year round and save the hassle of fitting winter tyres.

Opt. 1 seems to have the best rating for fuel consumption and wet grip.

Do you guys run all season tyres or do you have dedicated winters?

Should add that 90 % of my driving is on road but I´d like a tyre that works off road and also looks cool....

Grateful for any advice!

J

Last edited:
I never bothered about seasons or snow so i can only offer because the forum is quiet tonight that BFG seems to be the forum favourite though i've never used them myself and i wonder if Toyo open country fit your aggressive looking all-rounder spec ?

BFG All terrain KO2's are winter rated and also perform well in the wet ( something not all chunky tyres do ) and are an all season tyre
They also have very good wear characteristics .
I run them on my 80 and previously had them on another 80 and before that on various other 4x4's ... the latest KO2 version is much better than the previous version with regards wet performance .
I note BFG are not on your list ?

I have theCooper AT3 on the Hilux and I can't find fault with them. I'd have another set today if I was ready to change them. In snow they're simply outstanding. No issues in the wet or on the motorway. Being AT I think that I lost a little MPG over the rubbish that was fitted at the factory but we know they're fitted to meet claimed figures and not for performance. Wear has been good too.

Thanks for replies!

@Chris ; if I understand it correctly the AT3 4S is simply a development of the AT3 so glad to hear you have good experience from them!

@Grimbo ; BFG KO2s were my obvious candidate but then noticed they are double the price vs the others and my main concern is that they are too compromised on the road in terms of road noise?

Happy to be corrected tho!

@Shayne; There is a version called Toyo Open Coutry A/T+ that look really good and have ok ratings. I´m just leaning more and more toward running 1 set all year around and then I need the snow flake which they dont have : /

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I got these there was the AT3 and the AT3 sport. Hello I thought, AT3 sport, sounds like AT low calorie version to me. I was dubious. I went to see my regular tyre guy and he showed me the sport. He didn't stock the standard version. I go by what he says. He does nothing but 4x4 tyres all day every day. I felt the weight and thickness etc and thought to myself, hmm, I'm being daft here. These aren't budget tyres. So I stuck them on and that was that.

If you want something more chunky looking but impeccable road manners try the Cooper STT Pro. They're a proper mud terrain with none of the road drawbacks. I'm well-impressed with mine after 2-3 years. (Can't remember if they're snowflake marked but I think they might be.)

BFG KO2s are quiet or at least I think so .... Mud Terrain tyres are normally noisy .
Others have made some very good suggestions and cheaper is not necessarily a worse tyre ..... a friend has a tyre business and reckons that a lot of tyres are all made at the same factory ..... gone are the days when brands of tyres that are not well known are rubbish ....
BFGs are never going to be cheap but are worth the money imho as they will work all year round .

Yes, for example BF Goodrich / Uniroyal /Kleber are all owned by Michelin and Dunlop / Falken are owned by Sumitomo (a brand that I have not seen in the UK but have in Asia).

Mud terrains are probably a bit too hard core for me, also for looks.

Based on theswe posts I should probably reconsider the BFG KO2 tho...

What is the general experience of wear, how many miles do you get out of them?

Heard of a bloke who got 107k miles out of a set on a Disco, doing motorway miles mostly

I think it's hard to objective from the drivers seat of our Landcruisers with so many variables to deal with.I went for Coopers originally because i couldn't get BFGs in the correct size but hey are a fair bit cheaper where i live. After years of using Micheline on other vehicles in the fleet iv'e stated using Hankook .They're not rated the same in the wet & are not supposed to last as long but are a fair bit cheaper.From the drivers seat what can i say ? dunno ' i'm not the Stig.

I just checked and my Hankook Dynapro RT10s will be 10 years fitted in July They have done just under 70k miles and look around 1/2 worn! :shock: :thumbup:

You'd think that tyres that are 10 years old, fitted to a truck that sits outside all day everyday, would be starting to crack on the sidewalls and generally perish but they show no signs of that and the tread blocks are still as supple as ever.

Regardless, they are now nearly 10 years old, so I have been browsing for replacements and there definitely seems to be a shortage of choices in 265/75R16 and 275/70R16 sizes from this time a year ago. Hopefully once things settle down (both on the COVID and Brexit fronts), supply will get back to normal.

Thanks for all replies and inputs!

Ended up going for the Cooper Discoverer ATT. Decided in the end that I want a dedicated set of summers and winters respectively and these had the best sound, fuel and wet grip rating. Also a very good price.

Perhaps too good to be true but Cooper seems to get pretty ok reviews so fingers crossed....

Back