Country Flag
denmark
Hi :)

How big tire can I install on an original SWB with no rub? :eusa-naughty:

And I can fit larger tires with a suspension lift of 2 "? :whistle:

Hi :)

How big tire can I install on an original SWB with no rub? :eusa-naughty:

And I can fit larger tires with a suspension lift of 2 "? :whistle:

I fitted 265/75-16 on mine with no problems, there was a tiny bit of polishing on the chassis rail but not the mudflaps or anything else.
BFG-AT

I managed to get 285/75 on zero offset 16x8 wheels on my standard 90 after a fair bit of trimming inside the wheelarch and it was drivable but rubbing was an issue but that started me down the slippery slope and now i've got the same tyres on -35 (i think) 16x8 wheels after fitting coil spacers and a body lift .

I managed to get 285/75 on zero offset 16x8 wheels on my standard 90 after a fair bit of trimming inside the wheelarch and it was drivable but rubbing was an issue but that started me down the slippery slope and now i've got the same tyres on -35 (i think) 16x8 wheels after fitting coil spacers and a body lift .

Thanks Shayne :)

Do you think they will rub with a 2" suspension lift on zero offset wheels? It was only plastic arch you trimmed, or steel edge?

I used a grinder to take away most of the steel seam inside the arch , after a bit of trial and error i realized i had to remove the seam much higher than i expected coz i found it still rubbed when i braked on a tight downhill turn . I also used a hammer to push the horizontal seam back a bit . After the at if i recall correctly there was still a little gentle rubbing on the chassis at full lock but not enough to worry about . I managed to refit the mudflaps after modifying them a bit with the grinder and a heatgun . The above was for zero offset and i would have left it like that had i not chanced upon a body lift while browsing ebay . Please note i have Cooper Discoverer STT tyres and i reckon they are among the smaller range of what are generally called 33's so if you get BFG or something it may be a tighter fit .

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...90-without-a-lift-kit?highlight=biggest+tyres

Last edited:
I think that sounds just rough enough :)

What tires do you think I can fit on the original rims with no rub? Possibly with 2 "suspension lift

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I never even bothered to think about it if you wanna fill the arches you need to change the wheels , swapping them for 80 alloys which are zero offset is very common . I went for steel wheels as they are about £40 a corner . Many might disagree but i personally feel a proper suspension lift is a very expensive option for very little gains given you have independent front suspension .

Karl Webster often has 80 alloys for sale and i'm not sure Sae70 still has some bargain steel rims for sale ?

What you have to bear in mind here is that it;s not just the size but the profile of the tyre. A very square blocky tread can catch quite badly whereas a slightly larger tyre with a rounded profile might not. Mud terrains tend to be very square. Think about the tyre as you look down on it from above. It looks like an oblong. Draw a mental line from one corner down to the opposite corner. It's this distance that is critical. You can stick a bigger tyre on and with the wheel set square ahead there looks like tones of room. Then turn the steering wheel until that line I mentioned is actually now pointing straight ahead. That is your TRUE clearance. Go and try it now with your current set up and see just how that gap closes.

If you go with a narrow tyre like a 255.85.16 then that diagonal line through the tyre is actually much closer to the true rolling diameter. Go with a fat tyre and it really eats up what clearance there is. Also the wheels don't tun like they do on a shopping trolley. They tilt with the geometry. If you have any wear in your bushes, you can catch on the move but be clear when parked.

In short, I think everyone who has done Colorado tyre size upgrades has experienced something different. There isn't a perfect answer other than to suggest only a very small increase, which is pretty pointless unless you have a deal on some great tyres that you want to grab. Going 265.70 to 265.75 isn't going to matter. But going from 31" to 33" for example needs some extra work.

I currently have 265/75/16 mud tires on mine with no rubbing, I think a lot depends I if you have any sagging on your springs and the manufacture/brand/make of the tire...as they can vary in size betwee them too. I'm buying more tires in a few weeks in stock size but all terrains... To be honest I would just get stock size wheels less messing around if you find they rub.

265/75/16 is only what I drive on my Zuki Grand Vitara without any rub?? :doh:

Back