Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK to South Africa through west coast of Africa

24Seven said:
1.jpg
That is a fantastic pic, hope you don't mind, I've just nicked it for my PC's desktop picture, looks great :thumbup:

Cheers Guys, I liked it also :mrgreen:

I take loads of photos and just hope some come out ok :oops:

That's on MS1 btw Kevin

Matt

You only need one cracker and this picture is one of them.

John

The Dark Dude

Cheers guys will try getting matt savage to ship some air helpers over to Rabat where we are now - applying for visas.

Bloody hard finding internet around here, unless I pay £7.50/mb on my phone (insert gasp smiley here).

Any tips on where I can get them shipped to? Our campsite probably .. ? Or to a DHL office maybe.

Recently sent a parcel overseas by courier, arrived in 2 days but customs kept it for 2 weeks. Don't want that happening..

From memory its straightforward to install them, but if its not a PITA please pm me the mech's details in Zagora Scott? Worth having just in case.

Failing might try somespacers.

What is worst case scenario if we keep driving like this? Risking spring failure?

Cheers for now.

Sorry no pics, but our campsite is full of sheep, goats dogs flies manure & shit-filled toilets. Enjoy the desk jobs while you still have them :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

ignat said:
Any tips on where I can get them shipped to? Our campsite probably .. ? Or to a DHL office maybe.
Kevin, get in contact with Peter from BikersHome, it is about 200 miles due South of Rabat in Ouarzazate.

Don't be put off by the name of his site, he is a Dutchman who I know very well and will go out of his way to help adventure travelers. If you get the parts shipped there he even has a fully equipped workshop where you can fit them :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
24Seven said:
That is a fantastic pic, hope you don't mind, I've just nicked it for my PC's desktop picture, looks great :thumbup:
EDIT:
I think the position of the Cruiser is perfect, just like it's looking into the distance saying 'Now where shall I go next' it looks stunning on my PC's widescreen monitor, thanks again for sharing this :handgestures-thumbupright:

ignat said:
From memory its straightforward to install them, but if its not a PITA please pm me the mech's details in Zagora Scott? Worth having just in case.
PM Sent.

Safe travels.

Thanks again guys.

Looks like I'll get some airlift bags sent to Bikershome. Peter said no problem :thumbup: Hope this royal wedding bank holiday doesnt hold it up too long :pray:

Still near Rabat, applying for visas. Moved on to a different campsite, which is much better.

Forgot to mention, the cleanout of the radiator cured the overheating :D so the truck has been going strong. average MPG about 23-24mpg.

No great pics yet just been driving through town traffic dodging these mopeds and taxi's etc.

Hopefully we head out south on the weekend.

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1161.jpg

DSCF3242.JPG

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1187a.jpg

Aah, I'm finally back online and the first post I see is yours! Do glad you're underway Kev :)

I was in the same position with the weight on the back and got airhelpers from Matt savage just before we left. Fitted them and they're GREAT. highly highly recommended as you can adjust as you go south and shed kit ;)

I fitted them myself which took 4 hours as I didn't have the right kit, so keep that in mind. You'll need a STRONG DRILL to drill a bigger hole in the base where the spring seats so make sure you have one, electricity powered if possible. Jack her way up and it'll be a lot easier..

Totally understand about Internet but tapatalk is great and jeeps data down to a min.

All the best, Matt

(back in London temporarily..)

Matt Wright said:
You'll need a STRONG DRILL to drill a bigger hole in the base where the spring seats so make sure you have one, electricity powered if possible. Jack her way up and it'll be a lot easier..

By chance the one electrical tool I have is a drill :) Guess thats an indication as to why I'm overloaded eh :lol:

We are in Midelt. Nice drive getting here. Plan to start the MH1 route tomorrow. Then look at a few of the MS routes.
IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1283a.jpg

Had some HEAVY winds while in casablanca. Awning and tent took a bit of damage. When it rains the awning collects water in the centre so I shortened one of the legs to let it run off.

Woke up in the middle of the night with the wind howling and a loud crash as the awning collapsed. Still perfectly usable, and easily repaired. Also the wind caused a bit of damage where the pegs go into the tent base. no big deal either, but from now on when there is big winds I'll be taking those down just in case.
IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

weather looks a tad grim :? Pretty Scottish, actually :lol:

What's the planned route, country-wise? Assume mid-east / east Africa political chaos has not been helping planning much?

Gary Stockton said:
weather looks a tad grim :? Pretty Scottish, actually :lol:

What's the planned route, country-wise? Assume mid-east / east Africa political chaos has not been helping planning much?

LOL, been grim at times! I think we had better weather in the Cairngorms :)

Route is roughly Moroc, Mauri, Senegal, Mali, Burkina, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, DRC, Angola, Nam Bots SA.

Carnet has all the possibilities on it so if we need to change route mid way it shouldnt be a problem. luckily the conflicts have had no effect on us :thumbup: Saw some protesting in Fes, but our guide was quick to dismiss it as nothing major . His quote was something like "us Moroccans are too clever to get involved in this, because we all know America is behind it...and also we have no oil!" :lol:

Well quick update,

On Monday we started MH1. "a 300km run over the High Atlas with only 80km being tarmac"

Only got as far as N31 55.080 W5 39.582 (after Agoudal). Must say the route is amazing. Has a little of everything. At a point where the track is washed away in the basin, we had some the notorious kids hanging off the roof rack banging on the windows asking for food & water.

Thought no problem I'll just keep on going they will have to let go sometime. Then realised the track was washed away. One of the kids helpfully showed us which way to go, so that was a bonus :D

IMG_1310.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Overnighted in an auberge.

2nd day (yesterday)
IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

At N31 55.080 W5 39.582 things got very hairy indeed. :o

According to the topo maps on this section the dropoff down to the oued below is 350 meters. Couple this with my vertigo and fear of heights and things werent so cool with me ;)

As we were heading to the 'shortcut for 4WD's" a shepherd came running from far. Really going out of his way to tell us (well mime anyway as we dont speak the same language :) ) that the route ahead had too much snow.

At first I thought is he looking for a handout for some advice , or maybe slightly patronisingly I thought "bah, he obviously doesnt know what a CRUISER can do" :)

Anyway we carried on and there was some snow but nothing too bad we couldnt handle. Then we got here which doesnt look too bad
IMG_1368.jpg

Tyres were already clogged full of mud which I dont think helped too much. But as we were crawling along in low range we started to lose traction and the back started sliding to the edge :o :o :o

Needless to say SWAMBO probably would have divorced me right there had there been a lawyer nearby.

As we tried to move forward it slipped to the side. Reverse, and the same :shock:

So out came the spade and some frantic digging later we were able to reverse back. Even then the mud was so bad if I went too quickly the car would slide slowly down the slope with the wheels not moving :?

With Crispin's recent escapade fresh in my memory (showing how easily things can go wrong) and of a image stuck in my head of a LR at the bottom of a ravine (in Morocco too ) I suddenly thought better of trying to go further.

If the dropoff had been 1 or 2 feet I would definitely have tried to go further.

Not worth our lives. And not worth ending the trip with a written off car either :naughty:

On our way back we passed an 80 and 120 heading up. Wonder if they made it!!!!???

Getting wise in your auld age eh Kev :lol:

Stunning pics dude :mrgreen:

Kevin, that brought back some chilling moments for me. There isn't anything that you can do when you get the sideways sliding movement going on. I had that in Wales in the snow and a long way down. Finally we got a pull on the front and the only solution was to pull at max speed and snatch it back onto the road before it had time to slide over. Needless to say I needed a big drink after that one. This is where you need a side winch! As soon as I saw the pic I thought - I can see where this is going.

Glad it worked out. I can understand Mrs Kev's reaction.

Chris

I know exactly where that spot is Kevin, there was not any snow there on the 17th of April when I passed. That part of the track also has a camber towards the drop, not funny even without the snow :shock:

You got not far from the top either.

51975133.jpg

Some way points for you of nice campsites.

N31 33 26.4 W5 54 36.0 Very near Dades Gorge, nice hot showers and cheap.

N31 32 51.6 W5 35 23.5 Near Todra Gorge, nice hot showers but no so cheap.

N31 12 06.1 W4 01 42.5 Erg Chebbi. Camp free around the back of this place and you can use their swimming pool for 50Dh ea. Shower 10Dh ea.

N30 19 22.6 W5 49 30.3 Camping Oasis Palmier - Zagora nice owner and staff also keep the touts out of the site.

N30 58 31.7 W7 05 51.3 Camping le Tissa 15 miles from Quarzazarte, nice owner, cheap and hot showers.

Have fun.

Close call and good call in getting back down. i think many of us have done that nasty sidewards slide - not nice at all. glad you are safe.

:shock: It's scary how quickly you can get into trouble. Good save and decision to back out when you did :clap:

:clap: :clap:

Lovely pics. Glad my little screw up helped someone out :roll:

Crack on. Just looked on google maps where you are... :shock:

Back