Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Unusual bearing failure

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Sorry - Corolla again. Mrs Chris reported she'd been getting intermittent grinding. Well, it happens. I drove the car and under load each side did give a regular speed related dug dug dug dug noise. So I lifted the front and wiggled for all I was worth. Couldn't find anything at all. Not in the CV or anything. In the end I pulled the wheel bearings which are these quite big sealed units.

P1000704.jpg

Inside they looked ok.

The inner races looked fine too. All shiny.

Here's one.

P1000705.jpg

But, when I pulled out the other races from the opposite sides here's what I got.

P1000706.jpg

and

P1000707.jpg

No, these are not the same picture twice. Look

P1000708.jpg

The bearings are NSK made in England. These are two opposite bearings from a car covering 70k both failing at the same time. So off I went to see Mr T. Just how f******g disinterested could anyone possibly be? Well I found out when I showed them these. Given that I was handing over £230 at the same time for an alternator, I thought maybe they'd say 'can we hang on to these, would you like to talk to one of the techs, can we suggest you speak to X' Nah. Gordon Lamb of Chesterfield, you have disappointed me. I wasn't after recompense although this is clearly not normal, I just wanted someone to take it further. How many people will end up replacing these at the main dealer and pay stupid money for the privilege. So who do I send them to NSK?

Grrrr

Chris

I have mailed NSK.

Wait and see.

C

Back