Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upper rear lights

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Have any of you 120 guys got these operational? As we know it all depends on where the spare wheel is mounted that blocks off side when door open, and as mine is on the rear door, only the brake lights work as per Mr T.
I have done a search ( on here and elsewhere) and can find mention of people who have done it, but no details, ie, what bulb holders were used, was a loom used, etc.
Plenty of details out there for collies, but as different light units, not sure if any parts used would fit.
It seems a shame to have these big visible light units on there not used to full potential, as well as the bumper mounted ones. Thanks.

Totally agree Tractionman, and it’s been bugging me that they are not in use too. I understand the reason for the set on the bumper, although it’s a bit of a stretch if you ask me - a bit of a non issue i believe. Haven’t taken them off to see what’s behind them yet, but must be more safe to have them active as well as the bumper lights.

I'm sure when i replaced a bulb and checked the others that at least one of the bulbs fitted to the upper set is a dual filament but only one filament being used, probably the stop lights, presumably these would have been the tail lights had our models been fitted with an underslung spare.
Can't remember if the spare clear lenses had bulb holders or whether they were blanks, probably indicators with orange bulbs as so many became, personally i prefer orange lenses but fashion/image etc.

Don't know if the loom is live up there, not something i checked but definately some parts are missing so it won't just be a case of finding a suitable bulb holder and clipping in place.
If anyone does find a reasonably simple work around i'd be quite happy to disconnect the bumper lights and make the upper set permanent.

Last edited:
Oh yes, forgot the reversing lights up there both sides which work. Agree, the other clear lens both sides must be for indicators using orange bulbs. At the back of my lights, apart from the one used for stop and reverse, there appears to be blank white discs where a bulb holder should go, and all the light positions are joined by white soldered on wires. I am assuming with the appropriate bulb holders to fit in place of these white blanks and loom each one would work plugged in to maybe the connection somewhere close. I would think the proper loom/holders, if available would be an arm and leg from Toyota.
If I new what type of fitting was suitable for each light, I would make my own 'loom', just a series of proper coloured wires each side, piggy backed off the lower bumper lights, so both high and low versions would work.
Fitted with led bulbs there should be no overload on the original circuits to blow fuses.

The upper lights on mine are for the stoptail lights , indicator lights and reversing lights , and they all use those giant version bulbs of the front side lights that are all glass and push fit in as do the front indicator bulbs , the rear indicator bulbs are orange .

Thanks Tony, do all yours work then?
Its not the type of bulb that is the main problem, it's the wiring/ bulb holders that we are lacking on our models. There are 2 different size holders in there. The bottom clear lens, would be an indicator that would have amber bulb, is smaller than the others.
I could make my own loom to suit and know how to wire it in, but I need to identify which bulb holders fit. There are loads of aftermarket ones out there that could replace oem types for any vehicles, but its knowing which ones, ie number, type.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just FYI - the spare is underneath on mine, I found a photo of the back of the light when I had it out...

Attachments

• 20190206_144239.jpg
    20190206_144239.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 84
The bottom lens are the reversing lights , centre are indicators and the top lens are of course the stop/tail combination lens . Yes they all work . the lens on the bumpers are the fog lights . if you look in the owners handbook it tells you what bulbs the upper combination takes , I thought all 120s with underbody spare wheel had the same lens .

Thanks Karl, all your upper lights must work as you have underslung spare ? All those wires in the multi connector must be servicing the rest, via the interlinking white wires connecting all together.
Most interesting, as from memory I have all those interconnecting white wires , but there are less wires feeding that connector, and my upper and lower positions shown on your photo have a sort of white blanking plate in them , You have given me a bit more insight and a few ideas now, - weather being favourable,
(has been pizzing down here) I will be out there after our son and wife have gone Sat. and go more into it, as a simple job to remove . Any more info/ good ideas, keep coming as a few of us could benefit from this.
Thanks, will get back with my findings (or not)

Thanks Tony, I think all the 120s have the same lens for the uppers, Toyota cut costs by not wiring them on the back door spare. Yes got the foglights at upper outer edges on bumper, but a bit lower down and a bit inboard are also rear lights, brake lights and indicators. Good thinking about bulb types in handbook.

Thanks Karl, all your upper lights must work as you have underslung spare ? All those wires in the multi connector must be servicing the rest, via the interlinking white wires connecting all together.

Yep they all work. See what wires you have when the weather co-operates - I think blue/yellow is indicator (RHS anyway), red/black reverse, black/white earth and I assume the green is the tail light.

I assume you have the same connector, just with some wires missing?

You could probably tap off the towbar loom for the missing wires too - if its the toyota kit, they'll all be in that cubby on the jack side I think...

I wonder if the bulb holders have got a part number on them?....

Yeah, I think fewer wires in the connector on mine, which don't help, along with no bulbs/holders, lol.
Mr T tow bar wiring connection is indeed in that jack cubby along with a rake of other electrics/wires .
There are also behind the bumper/under the load area the individual left and right hand connectors of towing loom, so could easily tap off those which are lower down but in direct line with the upper lights.
That would mean I don't have to run wiring across the lc to reach the o/s from the jack cubby.
I looked for part numbers on a few Toyota parts sites, but didn't find anything of use.

I think I've just found them on partsouq!

8155513510 SOCKET, TAIL & STOP LAMP
8155560700 SOCKET, REAR TURN SIGNAL LAMP
8156560620 SOCKET, BACK UP LAMP

Search for '8111 REAR COMBINATION LAMP'

That's one of the sites I looked Karl, and got those same part numbers. The description was scant and the diagram showed 3 cylindrical parts that didn't seem to have any electrical relavence, or how they fitted or held a bulb, but I will have another look now you are thinking along those lines of parts. Nice one, thanks mate.

I assume they look like they're not electrically relevant because they must just make a connection via those white wires already soldered to the back of the cluster. I'll have a look on mine once the sun stays out for more than 5 minutes :)

I'll get some decent photos.

You are spot on with that, just found some proper pictures, not exploded diagrams.
They appear to be a push and twist fitting with contacts around the outer flat rim facing down, when locked in place they line up with contacts on the back of the light connected to the relavent white wires. When indicating, braking etc that sends the current through those wires and contacts only, operating the relavent items. That's why there are no wires connected to back of bulb holder, and no individual looms, - -
clever these Japs !
Only trouble is one is listed unavailable, so for both sides read two. Including those two, six in total are required. I will have to work out a price as each are listed with an individual shipping cost, then import and vat.
With the ones unavailable will have to source from two different places unless Amyama have got all.
Good work Karl, something definate to work on now !!

Great! Might be worth seeing if any on eBay or if anyone is breaking a 120 on there.

Mr T might be cheaper without import duty, postage etc. I use their eBay shop and submit enquiries with part numbers on there - they come back with the price and if you want it they will list it.

Or cheap rubbish aftermarket lights might have decent bulb holders! Haha

Sun came out so I got some more photos :cool: Things to note:

- no part numbers I could see on the bulb holders - but they're made by STANLEY (as was at least one of the bulbs - must be original?!)

- the wires on the connector look a different colour this time, because this time the tow bar harness is there.

- make sure your indicator socket (middle) has all the pins in it, and the socket has all those contacts around it. As thats the one that distributes the juice to the other sockets.

- make sure your light has the white soldered wires / contacts. NB the top bulb (stop/tail) has two filaments so has three contacts.

Attachments

• 20200926_121244.jpg
    20200926_121244.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200926_121102.jpg
    20200926_121102.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200926_121141.jpg
    20200926_121141.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200926_120728.jpg
    20200926_120728.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200926_121033.jpg
    20200926_121033.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200926_121203.jpg
    20200926_121203.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200926_121257.jpg
    20200926_121257.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200926_121342.jpg
    20200926_121342.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 57
Just been out and had a look at mine (wheel in rear door and extra lights in bumper version).
All appears to be there, even the twin element bulb for the tail light / brake light.
Tail light doesn’t (in bumper does)
Indicator doesn’t work (in bumper does)
Reverse works
Brake works

Interestingly the tail/stop has 3 connectors on the bulb section, but only 2 on the main body section
133C8E8D-53DE-48A1-8F81-5AF27FF52093.jpeg
99EBBB43-C910-43C0-ACCE-37773958716D.jpeg
BBA87354-10BF-40B6-8B37-4E8C48AE44B4.jpeg
0C01F7EB-39F0-4362-9B42-4EF52C5D34F4.jpeg
FF109174-43AE-44F5-A797-C17EB9AA6379.jpeg
3AB2C308-8660-474F-B598-9DF3CA2AA24B.jpeg
BC7F5D50-3BB5-4465-BE8D-DB1091FD7259.jpeg
09050333-996E-4A39-BA95-A16029A401D2.jpeg

Thanks DH, I think its all making a bit more sense now....

So I think your connector is missing two wires - one indicator and one tail light.

Also your lamp cluster is missing a wire between the indicator section and the tail/stop light section - to power the second filament of the bulb. Should be easy enough to add in? Does your indicator bulb holder have the extra pin and contact?

From all the pics, I think the colours are:

STOP green/yellow
TAIL green (missing)
REVERSE black/red
IND blue/yellow (RHS) blue/black (LHS) (missing)
EARTH black/white

For once the Haynes seems to agree with reality :)

Attachments

• 20200926_140057.jpg
    20200926_140057.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200926_140114.jpg
    20200926_140114.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200926_140106.jpg
    20200926_140106.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 62
Back