Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upper Rear Tailgate

Dark Dude

Today I received some shocking news

that the upper rear tailgate on my LC100 was in a severe state of decayand suffering the after effects of RUST. So NOW I'm after a rust free upper tailgate for my wagaon and IF I can get one to match the colour of my truck (code 8L4 dark metallic blue) all the better. Thanks!

Yes they have offered to replace both but the bottom one is perfect internaly and externaly so I have asked for just the top to be replaced and they have agreed. Knowing my luck with garages they will cock the bottom one up so no point in having it done. Top one not nearly as bad as yours Warren. Thanks for the tip. I think the Toyota Warranty says "perforation" but I have nowhere near as bad as perforation so they are leaning over backwards.

Frank

Warren, Frank......You know I love you guys but my car is 13 years old. There is NOT a cat in hells chance that Mr T is going to give JC the time of day with this one. Alas I'll chance my arm anyway and see what happens. Here's to cats in hell and me holding my breath. JC

Update: The rust was discovered while the car was in the bodyshop yesterday (having it's bonnet resprayed). Shaun, my bodywork man stripped the paint clean off yesterday only to find a truck load of filler where somebody had attempted to do the same repair before. This being the case, what is my best course of action, NOW as regards MR T?

You are right in saying you may have struggled with Mr T and the car being 13 years old but I think they would have come to the party.

BUT

Now that you have discovered filler and a previous repair I would say your chances are slim to non. The only reason i ask is that when the head body shop man came out to look at my car he had already checked the Vin to make sure no accidents had been reported and then proceeded to probe it with a paint thicknesses devise to make sure it had not been re sprayed.

I think you should try and keep an eye out for a good condition second hand one and ask Karl to do the same for you. They do come up for about £150 and then a re spray and you should be good to go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of question, what is the perforation warranty?

is it 7 years?

gra.

Hi Gra, on the 120's I believe it was 12 years, so can only assume it's the same on the 100's.

Oh my, my morning has just taken a turn for the worse. I'll give them a call anyway as I've got nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Update: Well I've jus come off the phone with the dudes at Jemca Toyota (Enfield) and as predicted, they said slim to no fxxking chance. Anybody got a number for Karl?

Its a slim chance but try Jemca Bracknell as that is who did mine and so they know of the problem.

Thanks Warren but i think now I'm going to cut and run. One way or the other this WILL be sorted to my satisfaction.

Sean my respray man did a temporary repair on the tailgate which has proved to be very, very good. I'm still on the look out though for a good tailgate...........So the issue is far from resolved.

[h=1]12 year anti-corrosion & perforation warranty[/h]12 year unlimited mileage cover* that protects against rust perforation affecting sheet metal body panels as a result of a manufacturing fault. This warranty can also be transferred to any future owner throughout the 12 year period.
*Light commercial vehicles (Hilux and Proace) subject to 6 year anti-corrosion and perforation warranty.

Back