Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Urgent Help request - Timing problem

IMG_20180402_130158-1740x2320.jpg

You can see here where the oil has leaked out. Plus the oil running down the tensioner body where it was installed.
Truck has done 3,825 miles since September when the cambelt was changed.

Well good luck Brett I feel your pain especially because all this is not your fault. Ideally you would not fix the engine yourself but obtain a quote for its repair or replacement but like me tend to just fix things as waiting is so annoying. Suppliers are liable together with the maker. It's easier to approach the supplier.......they can't dodge liability. They may make you an offer but you are entitled to the full figure. They should be able to claim back from the maker.

Very interested to see a picture of the tensioner. Looking at mine it looks like if the oil came out there would not be enough movement for the belt to be loose enough to jump. Especially with a genuine belt and not stretched.

It's a fag I know but perhaps degrease all the rockers and shaft holders when off and use a crack detecting dye. I would think any crack would be on the underside of the rocker.

Well good luck Brett I feel your pain especially because all this is not your fault. Ideally you would not fix the engine yourself but obtain a quote for its repair or replacement but like me tend to just fix things as waiting is so annoying. Suppliers are liable together with the maker. It's easier to approach the supplier.......they can't dodge liability. They may make you an offer but you are entitled to the full figure. They should be able to claim back from the maker.

Very interested to see a picture of the tensioner. Looking at mine it looks like if the oil came out there would not be enough movement for the belt to be loose enough to jump. Especially with a genuine belt and not stretched.

It's a fag I know but perhaps degrease all the rockers and shaft holders when off and use a crack detecting dye. I would think any crack would be on the underside of the rocker.

Mine was a Toyota belt. When I checked the timing and I spotted it was a tooth retarded, it was then I spotted the oil seal in the tensioner was wet, I reckon that when the oil seal failed it momentarily allowed enough slack in the belt to slip a tooth.

If you go back to my original post, I was sitting in traffic idling normally, I didn't notice any change in engine note, revs etc. when I moved off, is when it slipped, as instantly it lost power, misfiring etc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
2/3 the way up on the body slightly off centre, or is the tensioner the other way up on the car and that is in fact where the oil slick stopped. I had assumed it was the seal that failed.

I have the original tensioner on my 24valve at 150,000 miles. It's on its third belt now.

Best of luck for tomorrow.

I have the original tensioner on my 24valve at 150,000 miles. It's on its third belt now.

Me too @120k. Last belt change was around 15k ago and a close inspection of both the tensioner ram and pulley bearing found no issues. The FSM stipulates using a press (vice) to reset the ram and you need it! If you can force it in by hand it’s knackered.

Good news, I finally got round to fixing the truck,new rocker arm fitted, valve clearances done, new injector spill return gaskets & timing redone. Fired up almost straight away after priming the pump, and running sweet as a nut.
I haven't driven it yet as it's SORNed and MOT has expired, need to replace a front shock which I noticed is leaking while doing the work, they haven't been bad, TJM XGS, lasted about 8 years. Can't seem to get them anymore in UK.

Fantastic news. I love a happy ending.

Thanks Chris,I was dreading firing her up after the repair, when I did and she sounded perfect! Great,what a relief!

Way to go!

As an aside, I recently replaced the timing belt and associated components i.e. tensioner, spring, retainer ect. The work was done over a few weeks and the engine had not been run for months. When I finally got the batteries in last week I turned the key, the engine fired and cut out after a second or so, I turned the key again and the engine cranked quite fast, it sounded like the belt had snapped and there was no compression!

As I pulled off the cam belt cover (easy access, electric cooling fan), I started thinking about the time gaps between fitting components, had I put the woodruff key in? While the belt back plate was off to replace the turbo coolant pipe, did I turn the camshaft, tighten the bolts in the tensioner ect? All sorts of bad scenarios going through my head.

Checked and double checked the timing marks and all good, gave the air intake a sniff of petrol and the engine fired, and I knew straight away what it was, the fuel stop plunger had stuck closed, with the ignition on I tapped the fuel solenoid with a spanner and was rewarded with a click as the plunger retracted, turned the key and away she went.

Then it occured to me, I have never heard an 80 diesel engine turn over, you flick the key and it fires and runs, they never actually spin over before firing. When spinning without fuel, they really sound like an engine with a broken belt.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back