Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

usefull source for Oziexplorer maps

Yes, I had seen this site a few years ago and had forgotten about it. It has maps for some other countries as well.

what maps did you use on your trip Reinhard?

yes i noticed the other country maps, i will be downloading them later for my collection - since these sites often disappear...

I used the Olaf Morocco maps You can load them into Garmin GPS's and view them in a program called nroute (it was a Garmin. No longer available from them but there are copies of it on the net). The good thing about nroute is you can connect a gps (Garmin or using a Garmin emulator) a view your position in real time.

Jon, was this the site you got the maps for the Pyrennes?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
no, the maps Andy and I got for the Pyrennees came from another site that was more involved to get them and put them back together again. Seems to be the same base mapping but what I used before had lots of shading for a 3D effect that I think makes the map less clear and also had Andorra blanked out. I have all the 200k and 50k from this new site, just slowly piecing it together in Track Explorer (done the 200k, 50k bit bigger job!) but those raw tiles should work in Ozi from the little I know about it.

Had a quick look at this new site, did you have to register to download the tiles Jon?

Couldnt figure out what tiles i needed, but havent looked in detail yet

Yes, I registered to download. There's a button that says 'view map with the numbering of MTN50' which if you click gives you a large map with the 50k map numbers on top. I grabbed them all so I don't have a sub set just for the Pyrenees I could pass on to you. There is 200k raster mapping for the regions on there as well which is quite useful. When I've pieced it all together for TE I'll add them to the TE map page but that won't help you with Ozi. Don't think I have the patience to grab the 25k!

ozi has a nice utility called map-merge that stitches all the tiles into one map

I've never put my own maps together. If you scan paper maps as .jpg, could you batch merge them in photoshop and then convert them into something gps software will understand then calibrate? or will there be inaccuracies / distortion in the gps map?

I've never scanned and calibrated maps but I suspect it would be a lot of work and worth spending some time trying to track down already digitised versions to save the trouble.

this programme produces some pretty good georeferenced maps too

http://www.fileheap.com/software-mobile-atlas-creator-1-9-5-rev-download-122060.html

you have to play around with different options,
i am downloading a huge chunk of this map, at zoom level 14
OpenStreetMap 4umaps.eu (Europe)

you can select a large area on map on a "zoomed out" view, but ask it to download higher res tiles.
it has many export formats incl. ozi

I cannot seem to attach a screenshot at moment, but this map format i chose has countours, roads, and tracks incl. GR footpaths.
i matches part of my alps tracklog perfectly in oziexplorer.

so finally i can compile some decent digital maps for Italy, i was lacking these last summer. i had maps without contours and the maps i did have with contours were 1950's vintage...

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Always amazes me how detailed the OSM data is. Handy program :icon-cool:

i looked at it last year, but i am sure i couldn't find maps like the one i found today.

Back