Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

vdj79 rear axle

rod

Country Flag
australia
Just about to do the rear wheel bearings on aVDJ79 and am wondering if there is a special procedure for removing the rh rear axle because it has the factory diff lock on that axle

The book said put the diff lock in, but I did mine without and all was good

thanks David , a mate of mine did his and he said he had trouble getting the axle back in because the splined sleeve dropped down a bit, so i guess if the diff lock was engaged it may hold the sleeve in place better

thanks David , a mate of mine did his and he said he had trouble getting the axle back in because the splined sleeve dropped down a bit, so i guess if the diff lock was engaged it may hold the sleeve in place better
Can anyone confirm that the rear diff lock needs to be engaged when you remove the rear axle from a vdj79 cruiser

Can anyone confirm that the rear diff lock needs to be engaged when you remove the rear axle from a vdj79 cruiser
Must be the same as a 80 series, be loads on here will know for sure if the lock should be on or off

according to the Haines manual you only put the diff lock on if you remove the entire axle assembly. if removing the axle shafts only in order to service the wheel bearings then the diff locks do not need to be engaged.
However I watched a you tube clip that said to remove the short shaft the locker needs to be engaged. on the same you tube clip that comment has now been removed

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No, it is not necessary to engage the diff lock to remove the half shafts. Factory diff locks are only engaged as long as electricity is supplied to the electro magnet, so you don’t really want to leave your ignition on while you change wheel bearings.

Hi I removed a Rh axle today and the sleeve dropped. Lifted back up into allignment and the axle could be re enter.

Back