Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vehicle ground to a holt

Philip amos

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Well last sunday all wel until i pulled out of garage ,then there was a horrible grinding noise from the auto box thinking gearbox had gone i went on facebook to tell my tales of whoe while waiting for AA,suddenly a member of one of the forums came to the rescue , put it centre difflockand itll drive ,at which point AA man arrived we did it and it drove ok home with him following , he went under the car and sure enough the shaft has either broken in the hub or the split ring failed .Either way new shaft and hub being fitted monday.typical my mechanic was away last week

Attachments

• FAB3AE3A-AB71-45C9-B308-E61C1DC69D30.jpeg
    FAB3AE3A-AB71-45C9-B308-E61C1DC69D30.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 54
Well had shaft replaced took 45 mins £40 well spent

Looks like the snap ring holding in the CV came off. Normally that happens if it wasn't sized right to begin with, or could have been worn over time. 45 seems cheap. You sure they replaced it, or just slotted it back in with a new snap ring?

I was there I gave him the shaft and all the bits , it didn’t take him long. Apparently in Bulgaria where he’s from they machine out the slot slightly as it’s no in there opinion deep enough. That price was labour
And yes snap ring had come off so I replaced hub as well as it was damaged

Last edited by a moderator:
Back