Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vehicle insurance outside the EU? And breakdown cover?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
So we're off to several countries that are outside of the EU and my current insurance broker (Adrian Flux) cannot cover with ANY of their insurers, including my current policy!

I need to arrange a policy that will cover us in the EU, as well as Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia and Slovenia. Could anyone recommend an insurer who will cover these areas, please?

Also, if anyone know of breakdown cover that extends this far that would also be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Try Tower insurance in the Isle of Man - bit random, but they offer some good policies...

Slovenia and Croatia are part of EU, does UK insurance really not cover these countries?

Anyway, when you enter a country that is not covered by your insurance policy, you can usually buy a tourist insurance policy right at the border or if this is not possible, in the first town.

In Slovenia, I can recommend our biggest insurance company, Triglav. With them, you can arrange an insurance policy that will be valid in all European (not only EU) countries plus Morocco plus all the Balkans. The green card is also issued without a problem and at virtually no additional costs.

Search for ADAC on this site, the German auto association. I've not used them but others have had good experiences.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great, thanks guys - will try NFU, seems to be the most straightforward route! Cheers guys :)

Great, thanks guys - will try NFU, seems to be the most straightforward route! Cheers guys :)

here is my green card - note the Serbia note

Attachments

• IMG_1790 low res.jpg
    IMG_1790 low res.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 133
Right, got insurance sorted through NFU Mutual who have also promised green cards for everything, so that is all sound good.

EU breakdown cover is more of an issue though, thanks to the car being over 20 years old. Any recommendations for that?

Mike is that non Eu insurance just for this trip or did you have to re insure your whole vehicle for the year? Be handy if we could buy one month advance just for Morocco

I asked for Morocco over from my insurers for my first trip, 'Certainly Sir' they said, 'that'll be £300' for an month! over £90 in country. Both policies underwritten by AXXA

But if anyone does find a reasonably priced short term cover for Morocco then it'll save a bit of faf when we get there :)

I rather thought that would be the case Mark. Worth a look though just to save a faff.

Hey if you get covered from the UK you'll miss some classic Moroccan bureaucracy, and that in itself is worth a 3 week trip (with some paperwork you'll need the whole 3 weeks lol)

I found tanger med (last year) the easiest & quickest African border crossing I've ever done, and the insurance at the booth at the port must have taken all of 5 mins!

Andy

shhh, don't spoil the mystique I've created for the trip

I still dont get it!:( My green card is good for Morocco and it did not cost a penny (green card is free). My insurance did not cost me more than what I usually pay without traveling to Morocco. It is suppose to be the same way in all of the EU. What I'm I missing? Now I've looked again at it. It's good for all EU countries plus some non EU such as Serbia, Albania...Tunisia, Morocco and a few more. Hm, any idea?...:think: Whats wrong with EU...except for everything!:icon-biggrin:

Mine is good for EU. Mine don't issue a green card, because green cards aren't needed within the EU. But outside the EU, like Morocco, they don't insure. If you have a UK company that does insure inside and outside the EU then they probably will issue a card. Problem for me is that I need a better deal on my insurance whilst here in the UK. Maybe if I travelled more, I'd change insurers. But for now, paying a top up locally makes far more sense than re insuring for the other 11 months. On a very normal vehicle, there are probably better deals but when you get into the heavily modified class there aren't so many to choose from

Thanks Chris! I got it now. Yep, dont need green card for within europe (EU) but if I need one I just stop by the insurers office and get one for free within minutes. I usually get it every year with the renual.I like to have it handy. Some times I just decide to go to Turkey or Ukraine...
We dont have(luckily) that segregation of modified 4x4's and stock ones etc. Insurance (liability) goes by engine size, thats it! Full insurance is optional and it has nothing to do with liability. You get two insurance policies.

Last edited:
Sounds ridiculously easy. It would never work here.

Back