Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vehicle Shudder in 2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear at 2200-2500RPM.

brentpotter88

Country Flag
australia
Hi All,

New member and firstly some of the threads on here are super helpful! So here is hoping I can get some guidance or resolution on my issues.

I currently have a 2006 LC 105 4.2D non turbo, it starts perfectly fine and has no issue during idle. The issue commences once driving and under load, as I accelerate between 2200-2500RPM (2,3 &4 Gear) the car commences to shudder back and forth. I can drive through the shuddering and once past 2500RPM its smooth again.

There is a lot of engine movement just at idle when I have the bonnet up and rev the engine, I was therefore thinking maybe the engine brackets?

I am in the process of waiting for part to replace both front swivel hubs but I dont think that would cause this?

Any help would be great!

Thanks - Brent

Hi Brent, welcome!

IMO, the first step of diagnosis should be to check if it is indeed the engine causing the shudder.

Transmission problems must account for 8o% of shudder complaints, and it's fairly easy to check the obvious, such as the propeller shaft Universal Joints (UJs).
You have 4 I'm guessing, 2 on each end of the front and rear shafts.

Check them for free-play, there should've none on any direction. Pressure grease them well, meaning grease should emerge from all 4 yolk bearings on each UJ.

At the transfer box end of each shaft is a sliding spline, that should be greased, but don't over do it otherwise they can lock up and become ineffective, and overload the bearings in the TF box.

As to the engine, with the vehicle stationary in neutral take it progressively up through the revs to 2500 and note at what revs the shuddering occurs (if any). I can't advise much on that, but someone will have some ideas.

Sounds like it could possibly be engine mounts. I have a thread on engine vibration that has most possible suggestions on it. My vibration (not shudder) is different mind. I think engine mounts, dynamic balancer, as external items, and fuel filters and injectors for fuel components are places to start. Engine mounts are easy to check, gently jack up the engine and see if it leans over to one side or forward where you should see underneath if it lifts off an engine mount. Dynamic balancer is the rubber between the inner and outer portions of the front drive pulley. Tricky to spot but if you paintva line across the faces and monitor it and the line stays complete (doesn't move around) then chances are it's ok.

Thanks Clive and StarCruiser, I will check all those suggestions. I am leaning towards the engine mounts as a mate who plays with Nissan Skylines (I note these are very different to 4x4) did say when the car was at idle and once he commenced reeving the engine he thought there was way to much engine movement in the bracket. Time will tell.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Back