Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vibrating /grinding noise ?

michael

Hello I wondered if any one can throw any light on noises coming from the front end ,
We were on the motorway today and when I got to 60mph a noise started I thought it sounded like a grinding noise , the wife seems to think it was more a vibrating noise what ever it was it only happened when under load when I free wheeled it went but as soon as I accelerated it started again I could feel it through the floor, as soon as I dropped down to around 50mph it stopped so I took it back to 60 and it started again .
My first thought was brakes as I`ve just put new discs and pads on the front I stripped the calipers and red greased each piston and checked them and they both seem fine no signs of grating or scoring and only just warm when I checked them as soon as I got off the motorway.
Around town at 20,30,40 mph no noises at all. Any ideas or has anyone else had the same.

Hmm lots of things it could be... IMHO first thing to check is that there is oil in the front diff. A dry front diff will mean a bill for many £££ :? Then check the UJs for play and give them a pump of grease each just for good measure. A rear UJ failing can seem like a front axle/drivetrain noise.

It could be something as strange as a tyre issue - if you've been in the mud lately, check there are no clods of muds sitting on the inside of the rim, no stones stuck in the tread if you have MTs with deep tread. Check tyre pressures all round in case 1 tyre is way different to the others. Yank on the front tyres to check for bearing play (although this is not a common problem on 90s AFAIK). Check the CVs for obvious play or ripped rubber boots.

If you've checked all this and found nothing then scream for help and the guys that actually know something about 90s can add their better advice (than mine). :mrgreen:

Hello all I was wondering if this could be anything to do with the noise ? it is the back prop from the transfer box to the rear diff.
I`ve renewed the oils in both diffs (they were both full but pretty dark and the front magnet had a bit of gunk on the rear wasn`t as bad ) and transfer box also auto trans fluid, checked the brakes and all the rubber boots are fine and as far as I can tell theres no play in anything not that I really know what I`m looking for ,just the prop in the picture doesnt look quite right to me but I call on your experiences which far out weigh mine.
DSC01590.jpg

My rear UJ didn't feel like it had any play in it all but was the source of my vibration at just over 60mph.

The photo looks fine that is the slider section and thats pretty much as they look. How ever, looking to th far right of the photo the U/J's look dry, give them a good greasing and try again. I have just had the same on mine, vibrations at around 50/60 and was the U/J's, I re-packed them with grease and the vibration went so went back under and found that there was play in one of the front ones also a spinning cup :evil: ...... which I did not want to find as that will mean a whole new prop.

I now have a new vibration to sort out but I only get it at 95/100mph so not to important ;)

Steve

This may be a stupid question - but how do you lube a UJ? When I put the grease gun nozzle over the nipple and squeeze the trigger, the grease just tries to come out past the nipple - should I be loosening the nipple off?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Couple of things, could be a cheap nozzle of the grease gun, try holding the nozzle on tightly with one hand and pump with the other even though a bit tricky :D
The other thing could be a blocked nipple, try pushing the little ball in the end with something sharp to free it off and try again. Nipples are easy to buy new but sometimes not so easy to replace as you cant get at them.

Paul said:
Couple of things, could be a cheap nozzle of the grease gun, try holding the nozzle on tightly with one hand and pump with the other even though a bit tricky :D
The other thing could be a blocked nipple, try pushing the little ball in the end with something sharp to free it off and try again. Nipples are easy to buy new but sometimes not so easy to replace as you cant get at them.

Cheers. I'll add this to my list for this weekend - new drop links, new tie rod ends, new steering rack bushes, new control arm bushes... and lube front prop UJ's :)

If you are going that far would you not want to replace the cross peices in the uj's? Not a bad job at all and quite cheap from our mr. R

Paul said:
If you are going that far would you not want to replace the cross peices in the uj's? Not a bad job at all and quite cheap from our mr. R

This is just until Mr R delivers the ones on order :)

Hello
I cant get at the truck while tomorrow as the wife has it then I`m going to do a few checks highlighted by bob murphy I`ve also just got a new cartridge of grease so I`m going to do all the grease points and I havent tried it on the motorway since I changed the diffs and transfer box oils so I`ll give it a quick blast up the m62

I'm getting a similar vibe & have been told by my tyreman that it's uneven tyre wear (MTs) but i doubt this as it goes away when i lift off so will be looking at the UJs when i get a chance

Hello after a lot of advice I think I`ve found my problem it looks like the uj on the front prop before the transfer box is jiggling about all over the place I think its knackered :thumbdown: so I`ll be changing it as per bob murphys pictures on the other side :shhh:

Hello I managed to get the uj changed and its sorted all my noises and vibrating , thanks for all the advice and help.
This is what was left of the uj
DSC01597.jpg

Plenty of life left in that, whats wrong with you lot??? :o

:cool:

Simon Cowell never looked so good....

A good advert for greasing the uj`s dont you think, I dont think the last owner bothered much

Back