Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vibration - especially under load

Paulpen

Garage
Country Flag
uk
After a long few hundred mile round trip I now seem to have a slight vibration to deal with :(

It at it worst between 65 and 85 and when accelerating heavily.

At first I though tyre pressure or wheel balencing but the acceleration bit must kick those ideas out ?

So far the only thing ive found that may be the cause is a slight bit or play in the rear universal joint bit of the front propshaft but im not really sure what is normal and what is not in all honesty.

Anything common to check or usually at fault ?

I'd start with uj's. Shouldn't really be any play in them. Make sure you hold both sides of the joints otherwise you may confuse uj play for slop in the different.

Just uploading a video of it but going to have a good look tomorrow on a friends ramp.

Its cetrainly play in the joint im just not sure whats acceptable and if it could cause the issue im having

It's amazing what effect play can have. It's actually quite surprising what an effect having the prop a couple of teeth over one way. The if there is any play then swap it out. Not a big job and less than 20 quid for a new one. Symptoms that have been cured after changing a uj I'm my history include. Vibration at various speeds. (Depending on which uj it is) weaving at various speeds. Noise under load. Shuddering under braking. Like I said it is surprising what it affects.

Thinking about it. I wonder having play on the uj sort of makes an underlying problem seem worse. I don't know but hey its a thought.

Could well be - so I guess the next question is how do you go about getting the joint replaced and where do you get a new one from ? :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just watched the video and IMHO that wants a swapping.

Easy enough to do yourself if you have a big adjustable screwdriver and an old socket. Last ones I got from euro car parts and are still god after 8th.

If you need help on the process I have a couple of props about that could do with new uj's in so I can do a write up (won't be til next week though) unless anyone knows where there is one here.

Iirc. You pop the clips out. Wack it with hammer and socket one way. Remove the cap and wack it the other way then do the same for the other 2. Install is the same in reverse but a little more tapping than wacking. I wouldn't have thought that a garage would charge you much to have it done especially if you just took the prop in without the rest of the truck.

Is it front or rear. Might be worth dropping the prop out and taking it our for a spin (with the center different locked) just to be sure that cures the problem.

It won't be getting done for a month now I expect as getting married next week so will sit the truck up for a bit.
It's a good detailed write up but still sit sure if it's something I want to tackle in all honesty :S

The joint with play is at the rear of the front prop - can you run without that at the speeds I need in an auto or will it cause more damage ?

Also where would you advise getting a replacement from ?

Sorry for all the questions :(

Back