Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VX OEM roof rack delete

Citizen Brown

Country Flag
england
I have just removed the OEM roof rack off the Great White and thought I would share a few pics. This is not, I repeat NOT a shameless link to the items for sale section....

roof prep 1.JPG

roof prep 2.JPG

The roof liner on the later 80's is a solid sheet of hardboard and is easy to take down. The rack has 6 fixing points that are then easy to access.

i had mulled over welding up the holes but my welding skills leave a lot to be desired and I thought I would cause more damage. I ground off the paint in the areas of the holes and slightly dinted the edges around.

Inside I glued some metal plates over the holes using Soudal Fix All. I came across this mastic last year and it is an excellent product.

Once this was cured I bridged the holes using fibre-glass repair paste (Jam to anyone in the auto-refinishing trade!)

roof primer.JPG

After filling, priming, wet flatting and priming again the roof looked smooth enough for final paint

The local refinishing supplier SRS supplies sprays colour matched to chassis numbers for about £11.00 each. In cellulose so easy to flat out repairs.

roof paint 1.JPG

roof paint 2.JPG

Whilst not perfect, the finished job looks decent enough. I would say equivalent to British Leland factory finish from early 1980's, think Austin All-agro (apologies to any forum members who worked on BL production line in early 1980's)

As I said this is not a link to the factory roof rack that may be posted for sale (and some natty rear light guards)!

How much mate? I'd be interested in both :)

Made a nice job of the patching up

Nice job there CB, I chickened out and had the holes welded up, filled and painted professionally.

I see see no difference between yours and mine as a finished job, so that's a complement! :thumbup:

Back