Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wading

Yotomotor

Hi
having sold my 80 series last month I realised I had made a massive mistake. I have now corrected that mistake and bought another, this one tho is an auto.

My question is do you need a wading plug in the auto box? As I have looked and it seems the water can get into the torque converter side of the box no problem at all only seems to be a plastic cover to stop any ingress of water.

i await comments please

I never have and have never heard of anyone doing this on an 80. There is a seal on the shaft of the TC where it passes into the transmission. If this leaks you'll see ATF leaking underneath the bell housing area. The plastic cover plate thing is just a general dirt cover.

Thanks Chris,

I had to put a wading plug in my Range Rover, I just wanted to make sure before I waded 80 I didn't need to do any other prep, as the manual version I didn't need do anything.

My old series 1 Disco had wading plugs in the bell housing and the front timing cover which you were supposed to remove periodically to drain any oil accumulation! Eh?

My old series 1 Disco had wading plugs in the bell housing and the front timing cover which you were supposed to remove periodically to drain any oil accumulation! Eh?

Do Land Rover suggest pulling the plug on a drain in the garage floor too then?

This one has always amazed me, the timing cover one I mean, Toyota just have a labyrinth in the base of the cover and a reasonably tight fitting cover gasket to resist water flooding in and filtering out anything big enough to cause problems.

I can only assume that some oil leakage past the F&R crank seals into the timing and bell housing cavities was expected but I never had any oil drain from mine on removal. It was while removing the timing cover plug during a routine service that I discovered I had the timing belt problem, a load of black hair like fibres fell out which was a result of the timing belt rubbing on the timing cover and gradually being shredded. It was down to just over half it's width when I stripped it for inspection. Another 3-400 miles would have done it.....Bang!!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
when wading with a LC 80 there is only one thing to be aware of, unlike land rover products they don't sink, Linky.

:)

I have had mine floating a couple of times now it a very odd sensation when your used to getting very wet and sinking.

I have had mine floating a couple of times now it a very odd sensation when your used to getting very wet and sinking.

Yes, all I can say is thank goodness for diff locks as the only time it happend to me the crossing was shallow enough that the front axle stayed in contact while the rear floated.

when wading with a LC 80 there is only one thing to be aware of, unlike land rover products they don't sink, Linky.

:)

Love that vid JT linked to :lol: Never give up :thumbup:

Particulaly like the way the following truck quickly reversed (at about 0.25 into the vid). Wise move indeed!

Duncan , I did say you would regret it.....

wheres your old truck gone then?

Have you done the bebs on the new one yet?

As already mentioned. You have the gearbox seals in the bell housing area so water shouldn't bother it.

The disco that followed e in had a shock when it was way over his dash...

Yes, all I can say is thank goodness for diff locks as the only time it happend to me the crossing was shallow enough that the front axle stayed in contact while the rear floated.

Hi Karl,
a moment of weakness and the offer of an auto 80, so I sold it then regretted it. But bebs done body really good but suffered from lacquer peel, and needs a respray on the front I'll proberly do the whole truck. I will need a couple of bits from you tho, I'll give you a call.

Hi Karl,
a moment of weakness and the offer of an auto 80, so I sold it then regretted it. But bebs done body really good but suffered from lacquer peel, and needs a respray on the front I'll proberly do the whole truck. I will need a couple of bits from you tho, I'll give you a call.

tut tut.

Glad bebs done so your safe with that. Think you will enjoy the auto for lanning etc

Back