Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wanted: 8 seater 80

That's about it really.

My current HDJ81 is only a 5 seater (are all the imports?). I've managed to accrue 4 children plus a wife so I now really need an 8 seater so we can all go out playing, I mean visit the in-laws, when the snow hits.

I had originally thought I'd only accept a diesel, but after seeing that petrol one on ebay I'd consider a petrol for the right price. (£8.5k ain't it!)

Other than that I'm not too fussy. Sure, I'd like it to be pristine in and out, low mileage, auto, etc, but it's the 8 seats I need and the 80 I want.

Why not just fit the additional seats & belts etc in your truck Piers?

I thought I looked into it and there were some brackets, etc, that weren't fitted in the 5 seater and wasn't convinced about retro fitting it. To be honest though I haven't treated my current truck very well and there's bits of it that are a bit rotten. My original thinking was to get another HDJ and use my current one for parts.

Is retro fitting the seats and belts a relatively simple task?

I could sell you a boot floor with mounting points etc. maybe stick with what you know than looking for another truck.

Someone should be able to make a nice job of a retro fit.

Post a pic of your rear floor with all the carpets out so we can see if all the fixing points are there ;-) Sourcing the necessary parts should be easy enough if they are...

Imports i believe are exactly the same vehicles when it comes down to basic spec , the differences are always in additional parts which raise the spec above basic . Usually either local laws or taxes dictate spec and so parts are removed in the cheapest way possible . Changing body shape or mounting brackets etc would require reprogramming an entire robotic production line so is not a cheap option . Take the seats out and put a plastic plug in the bolt holes is .

As an example the swb 90 series was only sold in Ireland as a van , i think this was because of the way road tax is calculated ? , but regardless of why they just swapped rear window glass for sheet steel and removed the seats . Any actual differences will be purely cosmetic like plastic covers hiding the original brackets .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The import floors don't have anything at all to take the seats on the catch or the seats where them mount on the arches Gav. Not a massive job at at though IMHO.
I can get a pic tomoz al being well

more importantly the import and GS for that matter do not have any reinforced seat belt mounting points built into the rear part of the body so there is a large stumbling block to fitting rear seats from a construction and use point of view.
However Piers if you want a diesel version of the £8.5K petrol truck (as good as) same colour, contact me. I am selling it to go towards a 100 series and have owned it for 16 years.I can send you photos if you wish.

Andy

I've noticed several references to 7 and 8 seater 80s and wonder where the "8" comes from. Front row 2 + middle row 3 + Third row 2 = 7 seats, where's no 8?

I guess you could get 3 kids across the third row, but the middle one would be beltless.

My 80 is registered as a 7 seater even though there's no belts for the third row at all. Until I fitted them, there were no belts for the middle row either!

Clive,

The 80s, LWB 90s (95s) certainly are, and *I think* 100/120s are too, all 8 seaters in UK spec - Front row 2 + Middle row 3 + Third row 3 = 8.

The 3rd row has 3 point belts for the outer passengers and a lapbelt for the middle. Same config for Middle row on 80s and 90s, whereas 100s/120s have 3 point belts across the whole middle row.

Clive,

The 80s, LWB 90s (95s) certainly are, and *I think* 100/120s are too, all 8 seaters in UK spec - Front row 2 + Middle row 3 + Third row 3 = 8.

The 3rd row has 3 point belts for the outer passengers and a lapbelt for the middle. Same config for Middle row on 80s and 90s, whereas 100s/120s have 3 point belts across the whole middle row.

Thanks for that, I was a bit confused. It doesn't help that I have no belts at all for the third row, to give me a clue!

Back