Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

WANTED: R16 front diff

diggerdave

As stated, I'm looking for an R16 front diff

That's the one (I believe) with a 4.1:1 ratio

Needs to be in good working order

Ideally in the north of England

Mine's just started getting getting noisier recently and no joy with scrapyards so far

Can anyone help :?:

I'd try Trevor. Pretty sure Lil Blue was an R16 and it's an ARB locker too.

I have a front diff from a 1999 Colorado.
Let me know if this is any use

It needs to have an R16 sticker on the diff tube please. If not, I can't be sure it's the right ratio. But thanks anyway.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just counted ratio and appears to be 1-4.1. It has a sticker but numbers have come off. It's near southport if your interested.
Thanks.

If U can count, U can figure out the diff ratio :)

Fair point, but I've never done it before.

I know the theory (2 turns of one wheel jacked up) and count the turns of the input flange. But is it accurate enough to tell the difference between a 4.1 and a 4.3 ratio?

In any case - based on the limited info out there - my R16 is a 4.1:1.

Fair point, but I've never done it before.

I know the theory (2 turns of one wheel jacked up) and count the turns of the input flange. But is it accurate enough to tell the difference between a 4.1 and a 4.3 ratio?

In any case - based on the limited info out there - my R16 is a 4.1:1.
Quite easily tell as .3 is jus under a 1/3 of a turn correct me if I'm wrong.

Quite easily tell as .3 is jus under a 1/3 of a turn correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi mate,

I wasn't sure how easy it would be to count .1 of a turn, but as it turns out, it's dead easy (live and learn). Mine is definitely a 4.1

PM sent (they call them 'conversations' now).

Cheers,

dave

Many thanks to Shaun. I collected a very decent-looking 4.1:1 ratio front diff rom him today for a very fair amount of money. Nice one mate, and thanks to this club for all past (and future) help!

Ive just replaced mine - spat out the crown and pinion in pieces.. If you match the Axle # on your VIN plate (firewall) you should be good. Have fun getting that little bugger out!

Guys!

Honestly; If U are in doubt as to 4.3 or 4.1, then give it 10 turns in the power input flange...
It`s not rocket-chemistry...........
;)

Many thanks to Shaun. I collected a very decent-looking 4.1:1 ratio front diff rom him today for a very fair amount of money. Nice one mate, and thanks to this club for all past (and future) help!
No problem at all Dave, hope you get it fitted soon enough.

Guys!

Honestly; If U are in doubt as to 4.3 or 4.1, then give it 10 turns in the power input flange...
It`s not rocket-chemistry...........
;)

For anyone wondering, it is actually dead easy with the diff on the truck (bit more creativity required if testing on the bench). I did it for the first time:

1. raise a wheel and support, centre diff unlocked, gearbox neutral;
2. put a mark on the raised tyre (helpful to have something on the ground next to it as a reference point);
3. put a mark on the diff pinion flange. Make a temporary reference point to take the guesswork out. I used a bit of metal crocodile-clipped to the pipework below);
4. Turn the tyre twice while at the same time watching the mark on your flange and counting;
5. If after 2 turns* of the tyre, the flange has rotated 4.1 times, your diff is 4.1:1;
6. If you want to be really anal, measure the diameter of the diff flange with a tape (350mm IIRC), divide by 10, and that's the length of .1 rotation... There really is a lot of difference between .1 and .3

* It has to be two turns because of how diffs work. One wheel on the axle is stationary, so the other has to go twice as far to get one rotation of the crownwheel.

Back