Warn M8000 winch

BlackWidow

Mar 2, 2010
Gillingham (Dorset)
Garage
Have any of you guys taken the motor apart on the warn winch?.

After the lack of perfomance of mine at Lincomb I have taken it apart and found that it is full of Lincomb orange. The gear end is fine and I have stripped that down and in the prosses of cleaning, however the motor end is full of mud and I need to remove the windings but can not get the end cap off. Has anyone done this and what is the trick?

Steve

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
I stripped mine and found it looked like the tide had gone out. I didn't actually remove the windings from the case though I just flushed it all out. Which bit do you mean that you can't get apart, Steve? I did find that getting the brushes back in was a £@%& though.

There are holes in the end housing that just allow water to pour in. I thought that was very odd. RTV sealant needed, I think.

Really important that the central tube and 3 brake segments are clean as it won't hold otherwise. Don't get any grease in there. Have you got the Warn exploded diagram, that's pretty helpful.

Chris

BlackWidow

Mar 2, 2010
Gillingham (Dorset)
Garage
Yes I have gone to Warn and got the exploded diagram but it does not show the brushes and from what I can make out at the moment it is a sealed unit.

I have done the flush out then fired in a bucket full of electro clean then flushed again then more electro clean I have put sealant on every joint, hole and anywhere that I think water will get in. I have stripped the mechanical end right down cleaned, greased and rebuilt.

Anyway I did all that and remounted the winch........which for those that have the descreet mount know it is not a 5 minute job :evil:....... and guess what it still does not work.

I know what the problem is and I need to get to the brushes and windings and clean them out properly. I have put a meter across them and the readings were very high.

I think that I will have to go for broke and take it apart with the chance that I can not get it back together then buy a Super winch....like the one we saw at the 4x4 show that was in the bucket of water and still working.................or if I can find someone that is willing to take up the challenge of fitting a hydraulic winch to my truck with its very crowded under bonnet. :D :D

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
I am in europe
Feb 24, 2010
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Garage
Ahh, the TDS Goldfish. Yes that winch is still running under water!

I can't see how your 8000 would be different to my old 9000. I took mine to bits no problem at all. I had the armature out, brushes and everything. Something strange there. I know that you are handy on the tools Steve, so I won't make any ridiculous suggestions like 'have you taken all the bolts out?'

Sounds as though it needs a right proper clean up. My Warn 2.5ci on the quad has been used and abused, drowned, driven in the sea, had no maintenance other then I run it in freespool for a few mins every other month and it sounds like new about 3 years on. Funny isn't it.

Chris

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

iceman

I am in south_africa
Jul 11, 2014
NW London
Hi Gents I've discovered the winch fitted in my other cruiser by Mr T back in the day was a Warm M8000, and its not working presently. Could anybody point me to a company that could refurb/upgrade it for me? I'm thinking fitting an enginebay mounted Albright solenoid has anybody done this?

iceman

I am in south_africa
Jul 11, 2014
NW London
20150310_173439.jpg
Lots of surface corrosion
20150310_110451.jpg
This selector is corroded in place
20150310_173430.jpg
All the connection leads have corroded

Not tested the unit yet but my ocd is kicking in and I want to get it looking like new just dont know how yet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks