Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warning about Ebay UK seller 'smokeandpetfreehome'

I can't speak for everyone on here Daan, but for me, there is a personal mission to get Landcruisers into the hands of people who not only understand them but care about them as a marque and want to prolong their life.

I see rotten old 80s being used as the automotive equivalent of a donkey to lug loads and bash around the farm in only to be shot in the head when they lie down and can't get up again.

It should be made a crime. OK there are some that get to the end of their life but and get used off road etc but respectfully. I don't see this with Landrovers. They just get used unsympathetically as battering rams until they fall apart. Cruiser owns just do seem to be kinder to their vehicles.

There something deeply satisfying about rescuing one of these beasts.

In some ways the reputation of the 80 series for almost unburstable reliability is their downfall as some owners see that and think all they need is to put fuel in and maybe change the oil once in a while. Then it all goes pear shaped when something major goes wrong and it costs a small fortune to repair compared to rescueing a LR.

+1 Same used to go for the old Mercedes diesels. Keep on top of things and they could achieve huge mileages. Biggest killer was running them on veg oil, non viton seals rotting and excessive carbon build up finished many off.

Must be a difficult situation to be in, hope all goes well. Had a look through the pictures of the red cruiser and I think you could do a lot better for 6.5k (what it just went for). The rear arches are gone bottom of sills, and its had a patch welded in already. Colour combo and interior has made me feel queasy....

Not sure if you are aware of the facebook page a lot of members are on (also a marketplace page that has the odd 80 listed).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Toyota4x4Support/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Toyota4x4Marketplace/

Theres a off road prepped 80 on there just now that's around the same price, but with lots of goodies attached.

Any new on this incident Daan?

Maybe it’s too soon...

In some ways the reputation of the 80 series for almost unburstable reliability is their downfall as some owners see that and think all they need is to put fuel in and maybe change the oil once in a while. Then it all goes pear shaped when something major goes wrong and it costs a small fortune to repair compared to rescueing a LR.

This is exactly the case with the 24v I bought for my 81 Towpack... Always good to ask about oil change schedules and oil types used, I've come to realise. I did some research on last driving owner and called him he said "You need to mind your own business!"
I said "Well thank you very much! It actually is my own business now then!":icon-rolleyes: And he hung up on me! Fantastic!
It is running fine now but still on probation... 70miles in now and the oil is still clean! :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is exactly the case with the 24v I bought for my 81 Towpack... Always good to ask about oil change schedules and oil types used, I've come to realise. I did some research on last driving owner and called him he said "You need to mind your own business!"
I said "Well thank you very much! It actually is my own business now then!":icon-rolleyes: And he hung up on me! Fantastic!
It is running fine now but still on probation... 70miles in now and the oil is still clean! :pray:

What a complete tw*t he turned out to be :icon-rolleyes:

That’s gotta be a good sign Iwan, my old 410k km 12v 1HZ doesn’t use or leak oil, and there’s very little vapor from the crank-case breather, if any, but the oil goes black within the first couple of hundred km.

Yeah really Clive but as I said in my thread, these things are there to test us and worse things happen at sea! I'm going to take it out for a run tomorow and my confidence is growing! Onwards and upwards! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your story OP, hope you're able to get another one sorted out soon.

As regards your money, do you know where he lives?

Owen

Hi all,

He has re-listed the same vehicle again on Ebay, for the second time now since I had the ordeal with him. Must mean he managed to find another victim. Once again, I recommend not bidding on this vehicle or anything from this seller. The re-listed ad is here.

I will still start court proceedings, but it's going to take me a couple of months before I can due to work and travel plans.

I did get his (alleged) name and address off some people who were also scammed by him in the past, so I will use that once I am back from the trip to begin the court process.

I the good old days a well spoken girl would arrange cash on collection and arrive with a van full of very uncompromising negotiators . If he signs the green slip its a civil matter as far as police are concerned .

Thanks to both of you, I agree - expensive lesson. I don't feel sorry for myself, but yes I would like to try and get this sorted through the court route. We will see how it goes. At least I have levelled up quickly in the 'how to (not) buy a used car' department, haha! I will find the right Landcruiser sooner or later.
hi there
i,m going through very similar problems with the same seller on a nissan elgrand. paid a deposit and the delivery charges and still waiting for the van to arrive.
have you had a result from your action?
if you have an address for him i would very much like to go round and have a word
holmfirth area i believe
regards
ian

Hi Ian,

Real sorry to hear that! So are you not going to get the vehicle you paid for then? I had the impression that while he is a scam artist, he does actually sell vehicles. Anyway yes I have been given a name and address by people who were previously scammed by him. I am not sure if this is just a fake name/address he uses though.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I've not been able to do anything with this yet (ie start court proceedings) because it's bad timing for me right now, work has been eating all my spare time. It'll take another month before things calm down and I can pick this up again.

Hi Ian,

Real sorry to hear that! So are you not going to get the vehicle you paid for then? I had the impression that while he is a scam artist, he does actually sell vehicles. Anyway yes I have been given a name and address by people who were previously scammed by him. I am not sure if this is just a fake name/address he uses though.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I've not been able to do anything with this yet (ie start court proceedings) because it's bad timing for me right now, work has been eating all my spare time. It'll take another month before things calm down and I can pick this up again.
Hi Daan
Thanks for the reply, I only wish I'd checked up on him before I won the auction.
The Land Rover forum was an eye opener.
Like you I was impressed with all the photos & video and was/am not expecting a prestine vehicle it's 20yr old. I've had a couple of Elgrands my last one is still in my yard with a knocking bottom end.
Anyway I won the auction Feb 4, at that time all three of our family vehicles were off the road requiring attention so when he said he'd deliver the van I was very pleased. I live in rural Scotland difficult to get about without a car. the van's out of mot, sills need repair, no biggie easier than swapping a ton and half engine. Would need trailering anyway.
he asked for a deposit and transport costs which I paid by bank transfer (idiot). Then he messaged and asked for the full amount, which I refused, flags came up in my mind, I told him the balance would be paid in cash when I received the van. He replied that he was going abroad the next day and he would TRY and deliver the van the weekend of his return that's today/tomorrow. That's when I started looking on line and found your post.
I messaged him yesterday to confirm delivery date and time. He replied asking for my phone number to call me. I gave him my number at end of auction but I re-sent it and am still waiting for his call.
That's about it. I still want the van, if it's as described. I've bought several vehicles on eBay over the years and have always had positive results.
While typing this I've had a message from him saying he's tried to call but can't get through and would I call him.
I'm still trying to feel trusting,
let you know how it goes.
Kind regards
Ian

New info,
He phoned me today and we've arranged for me to pick van up on Monday.
So result..
having said that
"trust in god but tie up your camel"
It's exciting tho! got the juices flowing!
I will write up the whole story and post it.
A cautionary tale...

What I don't understand is how can this guy have 1355 eBay feedback a and 100% satisfaction rating??

Or am I missing something?
Maybe he’s a good buyer?

What I don't understand is how can this guy have 1355 eBay feedback a and 100% satisfaction rating??

Or am I missing something?

I am not sure either. But at least, I wasn't able to leave feedback - I even called Ebay about this, but because there was never a transaction through their system (directly via Paypal only) and the vehicle was never bought in my case, I couldn't leave feedback. So there's one reason, but I agree I don't understand the 100% either, because on the Landrover forum I linked there were a few very unhappy buyers, who did receive their vehicles, so who would have been able to leave negative feedback.

Another interesting thing (but doesn't explain it either) is that when I called Ebay to leave a warning about this seller's practices, the lady on the phone made a passing remark that he doesn't have a very good rating. I didn't understand what she meant and pointed out the 100%, but she said Ebay has their own internal rating system. Perhaps they have received a lot of complaints, and this has affected that, but I am speculating.

Personally I was never under the impression he was not going to deliver my vehicle, and I know from speaking to others that he has delivered to them as well. He may not be a 'fulltime' scammer either and sometimes sell vehicles that have nothing wrong with them. I am just speculating, all I know for sure is how he dealt with me in my situation and that he lied and kept my money where he had no right to. But he might sell the occasional vehicle that is as described, I have no way of knowing.

Hope it turns out all fine for you, Ian.

I am not sure either. But at least, I wasn't able to leave feedback - I even called Ebay about this, but because there was never a transaction through their system (directly via Paypal only) and the vehicle was never bought in my case, I couldn't leave feedback. So there's one reason, but I agree I don't understand the 100% either, because on the Landrover forum I linked there were a few very unhappy buyers, who did receive their vehicles, so who would have been able to leave negative feedback.

Another interesting thing (but doesn't explain it either) is that when I called Ebay to leave a warning about this seller's practices, the lady on the phone made a passing remark that he doesn't have a very good rating. I didn't understand what she meant and pointed out the 100%, but she said Ebay has their own internal rating system. Perhaps they have received a lot of complaints, and this has affected that, but I am speculating.

Personally I was never under the impression he was not going to deliver my vehicle, and I know from speaking to others that he has delivered to them as well. He may not be a 'fulltime' scammer either and sometimes sell vehicles that have nothing wrong with them. I am just speculating, all I know for sure is how he dealt with me in my situation and that he lied and kept my money where he had no right to. But he might sell the occasional vehicle that is as described, I have no way of knowing.

Hope it turns out all fine for you, Ian.

Back