Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warning lights all on

Craigmorley

Country Flag
uk
Well put a new alternator on a couple of weeks ago purchased from milner offroad and went out sunday few lanes locally quite boggy any ways now all the lights are on on the dash and it's not charging judging by the voltmeter. Obviously has new brushes in it but what else could have happened??

Sounds like the brushes have clogged or got stuck with mud and not contacting on the commutator. On the original alternator you could undo an inspection panel underneath the wiring posts and get to the brushes, usually wiggling them to compress the brush springs and remove the dry mud was enough to fix the problem.

I don't know if the Milners one has this panel, if not I'd consider running a hose into the alternator and see if you can flush the muck out.

Ok then I may Aswell just take alternator off tomorrow during my lunch break then inspect it all hopefully that's the problem does sound likely
so I'll keep you posted
thanks Trevor

What year and model is your 70 Craig? I'll check on Milners site and see if yours has this panel because if it does you don't need to take the alternator out.

Well it's a 1992 model but I've got a 1kzt 1994 4runner engine in it now...

Yes, definitely a different alternator without the plate from what I can see, you might get lucky taking the rear cover off if it exposes the brushes.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yea I had to do that to change the rectifier and plug to fit my loom so looks like I'll be taking alternator off tomorrow now then lol thanks for looking Trevor
also you know when Lincomb is as I Wana venture there soon:)

It'll be next year, no date yet but that gets posted up nearer the time in the Club Function Room so keep your eyes out for a post sometime in the spring.

Ok then thanks how much is it? Weekend? Is it just landcruisers?

It's held over a weekend, arrive Friday and depart Sunday afternoon. Prices are posted nearer the time and it's mostly Cruisers seeing as it's a Cruiser event.

Ok then thanks I'll keep eye open then as would love to do it sometime :) thanks again!

Sorry I forgot to post back Trevor yes the brushed where rammed with mud all cleaned out and working fine thanks!!

Back