Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Warranty...

lc 120

Country Flag
uk
Earlier this month I purchased my (98K mileage FTSH) 2004 Amazon from a main dealer, they initially gave me 3 x moths warranty. They are also offering me a Toyota 2 year full warranty for £1,008. What do you think? it's only a tenner a week.....

The guy in our village with a n 04 plate 100 took an extended warranty from Toyota, I think at the time it was about £1700 for 5 years. He says it saved him a fortune, especially on repairs to the AHC system and also some engine issues, new turbo, engine management issues etc all covered. With the cost of new parts in relation to the purchase cost of the vehicle I'd take it but see if you can get a longer term out of them. I'm guessing it would only be about 5% of purchase price so it sounds good to me,

Andy

As Andy says it will probably pay you. Certainly worth the risk and chances are you will go straight out and claim for a new rear locker, that's what I did. Also the steering wheel motors may well need replacing and the suspension checked just before your warranty runs out. I've made quite a few claims with Toyota and the local dealers are most helpful. They get paid for doing the work so are hardly going to turn you away on a marginal point. Make sure the rear aircon works and has not been disconnected due to corroded rear pipes. The rear tailgate rust is probably covered under Toyota corrosion warranty if the car is still within the time limit. Worth checking and if it falls out of time the rust may be covered under your bought policy. Small print I guess on that one.

Frank

Guys,
Thanks for the replies, I think its a no brainer to take the 2 years offered and maybe push for 5.....
Nick

Off-topic I know, but can you ever imagine a Land Rover dealer offering a 2 year full main dealer warranty on a 54 plate Discovery 3? It'd bankrupt JLR.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
After 3 x months I eventually received the included items for the 2 x year warranty:

Coverage: Used vehicles aged from 8 to 10 years
Mileage: Up to 110,000 miles
Claim Limit: Value Payout

As part of the Agreement we include maintenance due to failure of certain parts, including maintenance repairs required following a manufacturer’s service, as listed under the heading ‘Parts which are included’. A failure is the failure of a component to perform its normal function.

The most we will pay under the Agreement to maintain your vehicle is the repair value shown on your Validation Form. The amount includes parts, labour, VAT and any benefit from the Extensions to the Agreement shown in Section G.

Any part or condition specifically listed under the heading ‘Parts which are not included’ or ‘General Exclusions’ will not be included under the Agreement.

Parts, which are included:
Only the parts specifically listed under each heading are included. If a part is not listed then it will not be included.
Engine
Rocker assembly, inlet and exhaust valves,
valve guides and springs (excluding burnt valves and decokes), cylinder head (excluding cracks and overheating damage), head gasket, head bolts,
push rods, camshaft and cam followers,
timing gears, chains and tensioner, oil pump, pistons and rings, cylinder bores, gudgeon pins, con rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, bushes, inlet and exhaust manifolds, distributor drive, oil cooler.
Timing belts
Provided there is proof that the manufacturer’s replacement recommendations have been complied with, and they are free from oil contamination.
Turbo (Factory fitted)
The complete unit (including the wastegate, if it is an integral part of the turbo unit and cannot be purchased separately).
[h=1][/h][h=1]Gearbox[/h]Manual
All internal failures of gears, shafts,
synchromesh hubs, selectors, seals and bushes, bearings, speedometer drive, overdrive units
(when fitted), solenoid, internal failure of
transfer box.
Automatics
All internal failures of gears, oil pump, seals, shafts, bushes, clutches, brake bands, bearings, governors, servos, torque converter, drive plate, valve block, computer governor, modulator valve, speedometer drive. Continuous Variable Transmissions
CTX/CVT
All internal failures of clutches, planetary gears, reduction gears, shafts, variable pulleys, thrust link drives, internal seals, bushes and bearings.
Drive system (front/rear)
Crown wheel and pinion, half shafts, half shaft oil seals, bearings, planet gears, bevel gears, rear external drive shafts, constant velocity joints, 4-wheel drive units. Excluding: Beam axle and bearings, radius arm and bearings, rubber gaiters drive flange,
together with all other parts not included.
Brakes
Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake calipers, servo, brake pumps, brake limiter valve, ABS computer/sensors/pumps.
Steering
Rack and pinion, steering box, idler box, power steering rack/ram and pump, reservoir, steering column.
Cooling system
Water pump, thermostat, heater matrix, electric fan motor/sensor, viscous fan coupling, radiator, air conditioning pump, condenser, evaporator, magnetic clutch and valves (when fitted as standard).
Propshaft
Propshaft, universal joints and bearings.
Fuel system - petrol/diesel
Mechanical/electrical fuel pump, carburettor, electronic carburettor sensors and stepper motor, choke assembly, injection system.
Front/rear suspension
Shock absorbers, upper and lower wishbones, ball joints, swivel joints, McPherson struts, suspension arms, anti-roll bar, self-levelling units and reservoir, pump and regulator valves, seals, displacer, hydro-pneumatic system.

Clutch
Centre plate, pressure plate, thrust bearing, clutch fork, cable, master cylinder, slave cylinder.

Electrics
Starter motor / solenoid, alternator, regulator, coil, distributor, electronic ignition module, front and rear window/headlamp wiper motors, heater fan motor, indicator interrupter unit, electric window motor, sun roof motor, instrumentation gauges, centralised locking solenoids/pumps, switches, relays, sensors, electric aerial motor, horn unit, cruise control system. (Front & rear heated screens & elements are not included).

Electronic control unit
Ignition system, fuel system, transmission system.

Casings
Cylinder block, gearbox and axle, transfer box, if they have been damaged by a failure of one of the included parts.

Parts, which are not included
Air conditioning recharging, anti-freeze, lubricants, filters, transmission fluids, external oil leaks, serviceable and ancillary items such as plugs, distributor caps, rotor arms, core plugs and any part not listed as being included by the Agreement.

A breakdown is the failure of a component, which results in the immobilisation of the vehicle. As part of the Agreement we include loss due to breakdown of certain parts as listed under the heading ‘Parts which are included’.

The most we will pay under the Agreement is the repair value shown on your Validation Form.
The amount includes parts, labour and VAT and any benefit from the Extensions to the Agreement shown in Section G.

Any part or condition specifically listed under the heading ‘Parts which are not included’ or ‘General Exclusions’ will not be included under the Agreement.

General exclusions

1. We will not pay for any maintenance or repair requests directly or indirectly caused by:

– non-compliance with the conditions relating to the manufacturer’s servicing requirements for the vehicle in relation to those
items that would have been otherwise identified during the service;
– any failure of parts or breakdown caused by lack of normal and proper use or care, including the incorrect use of fuel;
– any act, omission or negligence by you (or any user of the vehicle), which adds to the loss or damage;
– fire, collision, frost, snow, ice, flooding, freezing or corrosion;
– the failure or breakdown of a part which is under any manufacturer’s or supplier’s warranty;
– any failure of parts which have reached the end of their normal working lives because of age or mileage;
– any parts which have not actually failed to perform their normal function;
– exhaust emission MOT failures;
– the cost of repair to components not listed as included for Maintenance or Breakdown under the Agreement.

2. The Agreement does not include the
following:

Design or existing faults
Parts being subjected to recall by the manufacturer or parts which fail as a result of inherent design faults; or faults which existed before you entered into the Agreement.
Accidental damage
The costs relating to losses normally covered under a road risks insurance policy or losses resulting from an accident to the vehicle.
Diagnosis
We do not include diagnostic work to ascertain the failure of the vehicle.
Consequential damage
Consequential damage is not included if it is reasonable for us to conclude that further damage has been caused by your failure to take preventative steps or to notify us after the initial failure of a component (for example, the vehicle being driven with a defective part) and any loss arising from:
1. Excluded parts;
2. Incorrectly fitted parts;
3. Insufficient servicing;
4. Faults present at purchase.
About the agreement
Vehicle use
The Agreement is not valid for vehicles which:
i) are altered or modified from the manufacturer’s original specification, or are raced, rallied, used in competition, or for hire or reward;
ii) are beneficially owned by a company or person involved in the business of vehicle repair, servicing or dealership or by an employee of such a company or person.

Period of agreement
The Agreement will run for the period chosen by you, as detailed on your Validation Form, or until the Agreement is cancelled
(please see ‘Cancellation’ Section).

Start date
The Agreement begins from the later of the date of application or upon expiry of the manufacturer’s warranty. However, the Administrator will issue you with a Validation Form confirming the.

Extensions to the Agreement
If we accept maintenance or repair request for a failure of parts or a breakdown, you may also be entitled to the following benefits, but the amount we will pay must not exceed the repair value stated on your Validation Form. You must always get our prior authorisation for these costs.

(1) Vehicle hire: We will pay up to £50 per day including VAT for a maximum of 7 days. Vehicle hire is only available when the manufacturer’s recommended repair time exceeds 8 hours. You will be reimbursed on receipt of a bona fide car rental agreement. The period of hire does not include delays while awaiting the start of maintenance or repairs or delivery of parts.

(2) Recovery: If the vehicle is immobilised we will pay for towing charges up to £50 including VAT.
Cancellation
The Agreement may be cancelled by you at any time but we will only consider a refund if the vehicle has been written off or if you die and provided no maintenance or repair requests have been made and no periodic maintenance inspection has been provided under the Agreement.

We will cancel the Agreement if you fail to provide us with the necessary information or knowingly provide incorrect information, which affects our ability to provide a service to you. In such cases no refund will be due.

The Agreement ends if you sell or dispose of the vehicle unless you make a valid transfer of the Agreement. The Agreement can only be transferred to a private individual who first agrees to be bound by the terms of the Agreement by sending us a completed ‘Transfer of Ownership’ Form (as included in this document), together with the transfer fee. If, in the event of your death, ownership of the vehicle passes to an immediate relative, the Agreement automatically continues for the benefit of that person.

Back