Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

Well we finally met Sam and Tom had a few beers and a nice lunch in Tazenacht then parted way.

After a bitch of a route in the desert we've had 2 fantastic day off road in the Atlas. Stopped for the night in Taroudannt then up to Essaouira tomorrow to meet George and Byron

I'm in El Jadida and heading towards Essaouira after breakfast.

Left John in Taroudannt this morning to explore the south some more.

Arrived in Essaouira and 15minutes later George arrived

Update from Byron, he's just passing Casablanca and will arrive with us late afternoon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Some Early Photos

High Atlas near Taroudannt
IMG_1432.JPG

One of 2 rally 90's in Zagora
IMG_1434.JPG

Haha
IMG_1435.JPG

Citroen AX Raid arrive
IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

Ziz Gorge
IMG_1444.JPG

Middle Atlas
IMG_1445.JPG

@FNBSS DIY Chicken Dinner at the campsite in Azrou
IMG_1449.JPG

John arrives
IMG_1451.JPG

Lunch Stop Middle Atlas
IMG_1453.JPG

2515m Pass in the Middle Atlas on the way to Guercif
IMG_1454.JPG

You catch the chickens. I'll bring the sauce!
IMG_7516.JPG

Looking back from the ascent onto the Rekkam Plateau
IMG_1459.JPG

Tortoise
IMG_1460.JPG

Rekkam Plateau
IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

Col Du Belkassem
IMG_1474.JPG

Boudnib Camping
IMG_1476.JPG

Bush repair on brake line, sort of worked for about 100km then brakes were very bad
IMG_1480.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

Jebel Sahro
IMG_1482.JPG

Back in Zagora for proper brake repair
IMG_1486.JPG

Lunch on the way to Erg Cheggaga
IMG_1488.JPG

Lac Iriki
IMG_1490.JPG

I left South Wales at 10:00 on Sunday and arrived at the Hotel Jasira in Essaouira at 16:15 on Wednesday. Overall it was an easy quick journey and the car felt great. Although it felt a little surreal to see George's 80 and Mark's 90 parked up outside the hotel and I was a little surprised that they were parked on the opposite side of the road.

I walked into the hotel and was astounded at how much it had changed. After short conversation with the rather bemused lady inside and I twigged that I had walked into the wrong building. The hotel was on the opposite side of the road... I had not changed a bit. 10 minutes later I was chatting to Mark in the foyer while they got my room ready.

After quick shower then I met George and his co-pilot, Mike, a short while later and we all headed out for a meal and a few beers.

Hi guys, hope you're track down south is going well.

After a bit of recovery time from Mark's schedule we are in Tafroute in glorious sunshine. This is a big improvement on rain this morning in Sidi Ifri.

Mark, I'd like to record what a great time we had traveling with you. We are very grateful for all your efforts in route devising and planning. Thanks.

Last edited:
Glad you had a good time John. I let Mr Scott know our feelings about his route and he's offered to cover any expenses for the fillings that fell out.

From my behalf it was a real pleasure to meet you and we had some great drives (even if a couple were longer than planned)

We're now it Fort Bou Jerif having picked up some new shocksyesterday at the scrap yards and discovering I had a snapped spring on the drivers side! Did a bit of beach driving today.

Tomorrow we'll drive through a fresh water river onto Plage Blanc and set up camp at the south end ready to see the rally on Monday. Then we begin over 1000km off road to Dakhla

Plage Blanc was a great drive yesterday, and no one wanted to turn back half way this time!

Wild camped last night on the route of the Morocco Desert Challenge. Had a visit from what I think were two African Wildcats last night.

Today we watched the rally then followed the route up through a river gorge and Byron got to test his new winch in a nasty boggy muddy section churned up by the rally.

Unbareable hot today with temperatures reaching 42 degrees but no sun so no shade to cool of in. After getting fuel and the trucks cleaned in TanTan we decided camping on the coast was preferable to desert camp. Certainly much cooler.

Weather forecast for the next week shows temperature dropping to a more reasonable level as we continue south

Plage Blanc was a great drive yesterday, and no one wanted to turn back half way this time!

Wild camped last night on the route of the Morocco Desert Challenge. Had a visit from what I think were two African Wildcats last night.

Today we watched the rally then followed the route up through a river gorge and Byron got to test his new winch in a nasty boggy muddy section churned up by the rally.

Unbareable hot today with temperatures reaching 42 degrees but no sun so no shade to cool of in. After getting fuel and the trucks cleaned in TanTan we decided camping on the coast was preferable to desert camp. Certainly much cooler.

Weather forecast for the next week shows temperature dropping to a more reasonable level as we continue south

Yes we got the tide right so it was hard fast sand instead of the soft stuff further up the beech. Made it a much nicer drive.

Back