Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

There willl be some small ones on the way south but not like Erg Cheggaga

Last edited:
Soo thoughts for the post rally section into the Western Sahara

1. Tarmac to Smara - 300km once we get back onto the road or about 4 hours plus stops, could be done once we finish watching the rally. Pros - gets us south quick. Cons - its tarmac
  2. Tarmac to Msied (just south of Tantan) then off road to Smara, roughly 2 days. Pros - off road sooner, fantastic dry lake a possibility on the route. Cons been this was before so need a new route ideally, not the greatest scenery, takes a day longer making getting across to the dunes and Jebel Sarho a bit later
Now getting back north we have a full day on Tarmac from Dakhla to Laayoune, no sensible alternatives, but from here we have choices
  1. Head east on Tarmac to Smara and then off road NE to Assa, maybe getting the dry lake bed in. Pros - starts getting us east, potential for new routes I haven't done. Cons - erm not much really
  2. Follow the old coast road/piste north to Tarfaya, then either tarmac back to Tantan or piste east to Assa. Pros - new coast section with shipwrecks. Old Aero Postale place at Tarfaya and a castle built by a Scotsman. Cons - possibly another day on tarmac or adds another half day getting to Assa
I'm favouring option 1 heading south and then option 2 heading back north at the moment so we have time to get over to the big dunes.

On the 2015 trip Tantan to the big dunes took us 2 days and then it would be another day and a half to the Jebel Sarho. We did the interesting off road route between Assa and Tata so the simple option is Tarmac or head north into the Anti Atlas off road and maybe take a day longer.

George, have you considered stopping at Volubilis on the way south and getting to Essaouira a day later? At the moment we have 4 days from leaving Essaouira to the Rally and its really only 3 days to get there. Might be better than trying to squeeze it in at the end. From Marrakech you could be in Spain that evening

Soo thoughts for the post rally section into the Western Sahara
I'm favouring option 1 heading south and then option 2 heading back north at the moment so we have time to get over to the big dunes.

Sounds good. Lets do that!

On the 2015 trip Tantan to the big dunes took us 2 days and then it would be another day and a half to the Jebel Sarho. We did the interesting off road route between Assa and Tata so the simple option is Tarmac or head north into the Anti Atlas off road and maybe take a day longer.

That sounds good too. I am for getting into the Anti Atlas offroad. The day longer is fine with me.

George, have you considered stopping at Volubilis on the way south and getting to Essaouira a day later? At the moment we have 4 days from leaving Essaouira to the Rally and its really only 3 days to get there. Might be better than trying to squeeze it in at the end. From Marrakech you could be in Spain that evening

Never thought about this option, but I'm gonna stop at Volubilis before Essaouira.
I'm thinking getting back in Spain not later than May 7th.

I'm in :).

Ferry booked and arriving Santander on the 10th April at 12:15. I plan a fast drive through Spain and expect to catch a ferry to Morocco on the 12th and arrive Essaouira on the evening of the 13th.

Cannot arrive earlier as I don't fly back from South Africa until evening of the 3rd April and I have jobs to do on my return to the UK. My car is currently minus both axles as I am/was in the process of making major upgrades for a planned trip to South Africa. Will now have to bolt it back together ASAP :grimacing:.

@GeorgeG - it would be fun to meet up in Spain but looks like you will be a day or so ahead of me :anguished:.

@MarkW - You are the guy doing all the hard navigation work but please forgive me as I try to nudge you towards making the long days on tarmac (to cover ground) and spending shorter days but more days off road. The desert is impressive viewed through the windscreen as one roars along but truly amazing when absorbed in silence with a cold beer :sunglasses:.

Last edited:
Great stuff Byron be good to have you along again :)

Upto the rally will be a easy 3 days just winding our way south, I think we'll go up through Paradise Valley to Tafroute in the Anti Atlas and see the painted rocks then drop down to the coast near Bou Jerif.

Once the rally is over its south for the next 3 days or so. If we get into a routine and off in the mornings promptly, we have more scope for stops during the day. A couple of irish guys I spoke too who did the route last year said they had 2 nights in the desert.

w have 4 key objectives, see the rally, western sahara, some dunes and Marrakech. We'll have a couple of days in Dakhla to explore a little and a day in Marrakech to see the sights.

when's your return ferry? I've not booked yet

when's your return ferry? I've not booked yet

Thanks Mark, happy to be joining you and George. I have not booked a return ferry, thought I would play that by ear.

"off in the mornings promptly" :openmouth:- hmm, guess that means you will be making your morning coffee yourself :smirk:.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Morning coffees not a problem, I have installed one of ARB's brand new Barista Bumpers (your not a proper "overlander until you have one ;) )
coffee bumper.jpg

Morning coffees not a problem, I have installed one of ARB's brand new Barista Bumpers (your not a proper "overlander until you have one ;) )View attachment 112781

Bumper looks good, but doesn't "installed" mean your car should be attached to it :wink:.

You do realise that this sort of addition will ruin your rep as a stealth overlander :)

based on my truck at the moment, being in the same postal code area counts as installed.

Think I'm getting less stealthy now with fuel and stuff on the roof

Good point Byron, always good to be able to communicate across the group when we're on the move (depending on who is saying what ;) )

I hope the NEW CB I've recently got will work this time. If it doesnt we will use PMRs. I'll bring along few pieces PMR radios.

and T-shirts :) already started on a design George :)

Yep, its a little sensitive politically, as far as Morocco is concerned the WS is Morocco with no separation. Some overlanders like to have a sticker showing a map or similar and I've heard of them being forced to remove it at the border if the WS is depicted separately to Morocco.

I suppose I could mention Dakhla somewhere

Back