Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

2 options
rm2017a.jpg
rm2017b.jpg

Second one is better. No offence in all points of view. Imagine people in Dakhla reading "Dakhla, Morocco"...Just the same as someone in Tanjier...."Morocco, Western Sahara".....;)

Hi Mark,

Back in the UK now and calendar would indicate last week in March as a good time for me. I will probably go anyway but it would be good to meet up and add a bit of safety reserve to the more demanding routes. Please keep in touch as your plans develop.

John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi John, was wondering where you were :)

Not booked my ferry yet, but looking at the ferry on the 21st at the moment. Are you looking at the week later and how long will you be in Morocco?

Hi,
Being retired there is little urgency. However, last engagement is on 28th March and we have to be back in the UK in mid May. Vague plan at the moment is to spend perhaps 3 weeks wandering about in Morocco followed by a gentle drive back to the UK through Spain and France.

Hi,
Being retired there is little urgency. However, last engagement is on 28th March and we have to be back in the UK in mid May. Vague plan at the moment is to spend perhaps 3 weeks wandering about in Morocco followed by a gentle drive back to the UK through Spain and France.

Hey John, that sounds like a good plan :)

With a time frame like that you could almost fit in the Dakhla bit with us. George needs to be back in Europe for the 7th.

Regardless it'll be good to meet up for some routes. I've not been up in the mountains in the spring before (well not off road) so an additional vehicle would be a welcome addition. Do you havea wishlist of what you want to do and see in Morocco?

I do have an idea of a route we could do ahead of Byron and George arriving, running south across the Rekam Plateau, then Erg Chebi, across the desert to Zagora and then north through the Atlas to Essaouira.

Thanks KriPa,thats pretty much our planned route although we turn west a bit further north

Last edited:
With a time frame like that you could almost fit in the Dakhla bit with us. George needs to be back in Europe for the 7th.

Regardless it'll be good to meet up for some routes. I've not been up in the mountains in the spring before (well not off road) so an additional vehicle would be a welcome addition. Do you havea wishlist of what you want to do and see in Morocco?

I do have an idea of a route we could do ahead of Byron and George arriving, running south across the Rekam Plateau, then Erg Chebi, across the desert to Zagora and then north through the Atlas to Essaouira.

Hi Mark,

Planning for Morocco trip is now complete. We have bought a map and booked a ferry to Santander on 28th March! Our only experience of Morocco is a two week dash with an organised trip in a Camel Trophy 110 about 10 or 12 years ago so very much open to suggestions and help in planning; I'm much more attracted to mountains than sand so will probably pass on long desert drives to Dakhla - but you never know. Anyway, happy to fit in with whatever routes you fancy in the Atlas, roof tent is on the roofrack ready for when hotels are too rough or too far.

John

John, that's great news!, I think I'll be out a week before you if everything goes to plan. I'll have a think about routes and where we could meet up.

I'm keen to have a look at part of the Rekkam Plateau, east of the Middle Atlas, probably a couple of days from the north down to Boudnib.

I'm also thinking to get to Essaouira around the 10th and have a day or so before Byron and George arrive

Mark, e-mail me the file with the trip logo pls:)

Ok this is it at the moment, not sure if the colour is what everyone wanted? Trouble with being colour blind, if its not came someone post a pic of the colour you want and I can adjust the image before emailing to George

@ByronJ @GeorgeG

RM2017.jpg

I'm fine with the colour. The design is crazy enought and any colour just fits in it:)

A bit of an update on plans etc.

Dropped my truck off yesterday at the only place within 60miles that would touch the diff, just waiting for the phone call to tell me how expensive it will be.........

Logo is as finished as I can get it, few rough edges but otherwise good to go. I'll mail this over to @GeorgeG today

Essaouira to Dakhla route is done, few variables depending on what time we finish watching the rally and how far we get south. Likewise the route north is pretty much there taking us up the coast to Tarfaya and then to some waterfalls before ending up in Assa. @ByronJ will get to see some of what he missed on the 2015 trip as we head east but it won't be exactly the same route for me and George. From Assa I don't really have much finalised at the moment but probably up through the Anti Atlas a little bit then across to the dunes at Erg Cheggga. Might be an idea to see how we are getting on on the trip and then plan on the way from here.

@JOHN OF LONDON not sure what you plans are but I have a route sketched out that would take us NE from Azrou through the Middle Atlas for a couple or days before turning south across the Rekkam Plataeu to Boundnib. Properly off the tourist trail here so may well be wildcamping the whole way to Boudnib. From Boudnibwe could head south to Erg Chebbi and some dunes or up into the High Atlas heading towards the coast. I'm a little wary of the temperatures in the mountains if its too cold, conditions might also be unpredictable on some routes. Hard to be certain until we are there. If this route sounds interesting we could meet up in Azrou just south of Fes.

:grimacing::grimacing:
A bit of an update on plans etc.

Dropped my truck off yesterday at the only place within 60miles that would touch the diff, just waiting for the phone call to tell me how expensive it will be.........

Logo is as finished as I can get it, few rough edges but otherwise good to go. I'll mail this over to @GeorgeG today

Essaouira to Dakhla route is done, few variables depending on what time we finish watching the rally and how far we get south. Likewise the route north is pretty much there taking us up the coast to Tarfaya and then to some waterfalls before ending up in Assa. @ByronJ will get to see some of what he missed on the 2015 trip as we head east but it won't be exactly the same route for me and George. From Assa I don't really have much finalised at the moment but probably up through the Anti Atlas a little bit then across to the dunes at Erg Cheggga. Might be an idea to see how we are getting on on the trip and then plan on the way from here.

@JOHN OF LONDON not sure what you plans are but I have a route sketched out that would take us NE from Azrou through the Middle Atlas for a couple or days before turning south across the Rekkam Plataeu to Boundnib. Properly off the tourist trail here so may well be wildcamping the whole way to Boudnib. From Boudnibwe could head south to Erg Chebbi and some dunes or up into the High Atlas heading towards the coast. I'm a little wary of the temperatures in the mountains if its too cold, conditions might also be unpredictable on some routes. Hard to be certain until we are there. If this route sounds interesting we could meet up in Azrou just south of Fes.

Hi Mark. Good luck with the diff :grimacing:.

I have both axles back on my car so making progress. I have 12 days left before I head to South Africa so plenty of time yet :neutral:. The route you are proposing with John sounds very interesting. When route planning how many miles / hours of driving a day do you aim for?

Well I had better head back to the garage...

Byron

Back