Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Western Sahara April 2017

Hi mark we may not be able to meet you at the first stop but should be able you meet you at your second stop where would that be

At the moment the plan is to meet John in Azrou on the 1st April and then head North East up to Guercif. Satnav says the route is 323km and will take about 6 hours so if this is correct we'd be there the evening of the 2nd.

However I don't know the route at all so it could take longer and mean it would be the day after we get there

Breaking news, there may be a chance we will be doing some route research for Chris Scotts next edition of Morocco Overland. Currently the area or research is around Erg Cheggaga which we were heading to after the Western Sahara or possibly may warrant a trip to the dunes before getting to Essaouira.

Mark, Sam,

Hi, I've been moving house and not concentrating on important things like holidays. Sam it would be good to touch base on the ferry - look for a green 80 with a roof tent, there probably won't be many! Mark, you were going to PM me with your phone number in case we miss each other at the camp site. I can't start a conversation - not enough posts!

Looking forward to meeting you guys

John

I was just going to PM you John with contact details.

I leave on Tuesday so have been busy sorting the truck out and dealing with a few unexpected problems. Likewise looking forwards to meeting you all

Ok cool I keep an eye out for you my 80 is red and il be with a white one also both with roof tents

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All ready for off tomorrow..................I think!

Just got a price for the Algeciras to Tanger Med Ferry from Carlos. 165 Euro 1 4x4 and 1 person open return.

If you want o do the vehicle importation paperwork online in advance theres a great guide here http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73

And the link to the form is here
http://www.douane.gov.ma/d16ter/formAT.jsf

If you get ferry tickets from Carlos he'll also do the import for you so don't worry if you don't get it done.

All ready for off tomorrow..................I think!

Just got a price for the Algeciras to Tanger Med Ferry from Carlos. 165 Euro 1 4x4 and 1 person open return.

If you want o do the vehicle importation paperwork online in advance theres a great guide here http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73

And the link to the form is here
http://www.douane.gov.ma/d16ter/formAT.jsf

If you get ferry tickets from Carlos he'll also do the import for you so don't worry if you don't get it done.

Thanks for the information Mark. Have a great trip. See you at Essaouira :).

Have a good trip Mark and all.

I will be interested in what routes you take around Cheggaga.... looking forward to your trip write up.

Well it was a fairly rough crossing and arrival was 90 minutes late. Weather in Spain has been pretty crap with strong winds rain and blizzards heading south.

Stopped for the night just north of Seville. Decided on the hotel rather than sleeping in the truck but it's very nice and only 30 Euros. Let me know if anyone wants a location for their trip. Took about 8 hours to get here from the ferry.

Hope to be on a lunch time ferry into Morocco tomorrow and first night in Chefchoen. Hope things are a bit warmer!

Well it was a fairly rough crossing and arrival was 90 minutes late. Weather in Spain has been pretty crap with strong winds rain and blizzards heading south.

Stopped for the night just north of Seville. Decided on the hotel rather than sleeping in the truck but it's very nice and only 30 Euros. Let me know if anyone wants a location for their trip. Took about 8 hours to get here from the ferry.

Hope to be on a lunch time ferry into Morocco tomorrow and first night in Chefchoen. Hope things are a bit warmer!

Santander to Seville in 8 hours is pretty good going :thumbup:. Sorry to say the weather in northern Morocco is looking cold and wet for the next couple of days. Sunny from Saturday though :icon-cool:.

Please send me the hotel location when you get a chance.

Will do. Don't expect you remember but it's a services about 80km north of Seville we stopped at on the way out in 2015.

looking at the rest of the services south they don't seem to have hotels.

About a hour away from Algeciras now

Will do. Don't expect you remember but it's a services about 80km north of Seville we stopped at on the way out in 2015.

looking at the rest of the services south they don't seem to have hotels.

About a hour away from Algeciras now

Thanks Mark. Think I do remember. Does the services have a steep ramp down to the parking area?

Looks like you will be in Morocco today :sunglasses:.

Not the one we camped at but the one we stopped for coffe at. I'll post location when I get the chance

Just picking up ferry ticket now

Ferry times with Balearic are as follows

4am
10am
4pm
10pm

It took me a 3.5 hours to get from the hotel to Carlos office with a stop for coffee. I had hoped there was 2pm ferry but I've got a bit of a wait now.

If the ferry goes on time it's about an hour crossing and maybe a hour to get through customs so if you were on a 10am ferry you should be free and on the motorway by about 12:30 13:00 or so.

Not sure about other ferry companies cost or times

Cords for hotel at truck stop

N38 01.840 W006 13.303

Does anyone use iOverlander? If so I've listed it in the app

Well in Morocco and its raining :(

Didn't quite make it in my customary 48hrs due to a number of issues, 1.5 hours late into Santander and then torrential rain and snow slowed the drive down a little. Ferry timings seem to have changed so the one I expected for about 2 was actually 4pm except that's when the Spanish decided to start loading so an hour late leaving and then we had to wait for the pilot before we docked, ended up 2 hours later than scheduled.

Customs was fairly efficient, new addition of a sniffer dog going through every car but I was clear in around 30minutes

Probably worth considering these issues when planning your outbound trip @JOHN OF LONDON , @SamW

If I'm correct you all get into Spain next Wednesday. If your in Morocco by Friday meeting in Azrou on the 1st will be fine, but I think if your planning to get into Morocco and then drive to Azrou on the 1st you'll probably have an long day. Azrou is a 5 hour drive from the port. If (and it might be a big if) the 10am ferry is on time you'd probably clear customs and the port by 12 Moroccan time at the latest meaning hitting Azrou around 6pm. But that ferry could well be late leaving! Only the last hour or so is off the motorway so the drive is easy but I'd try to avoid driving at night if at all possible.

One last thing, the campsite in Azrou is a way out of town so if you want a restaurant to eat stop on your way through or be prepared for a drive into town.

I expect to have reasonable internet access for the next few days but will start camping a bit more from Monday so might not have access regularly

Last edited:
I seem to have arrive with some bad weather, torrential rain last night and fresh snow on the hills round Tetouan. So rather than my planned stop in Chefchoen I've gone to Essaouira.

Very light traffic on the motorway but god awful rain north of Casablanca. Originally the plan was to stop at El Jadida or Safi for the night but a new motorway spur down to Safi cut an hour off the journey so I pushed through all the way.

Got stopped by the police on the way at a junction, seemed very interested in my brake lights, odd as they could only see me from the front.

Weathers much better in the south, fresh snowfall reported in Imichil in the High Atlas and also Azrou. Might be a bit chilly up there next weekend, current forecast is a high of 22 and low of 7.

Handy tips for those about to come out. New motorway around Rabat, follow road signs if your heading south towards Casablanca as you sat nav might not have it on.

@ByronJ , from Hotel Dreamland to the Hotel in Essaouira today took my 8 hours with 3 stops for fuel etc cruising between 60-70. If I'd sat at the speed limit probably a little faster. At Casablanca you can follow the A3 motorway towards Marrakech and then west to Essaouira on the R207. Or you can take the A1 motorway towards El Jadida and Safi. From Safi I took the coast route we did on the way out last time, Sat Nav tried to take me on the N1 but the coast road is shorter and more scenic. If its going to mean travelling after dark for you then I'd take the Marrakech route, the motorways much safer than the back roads.

Not sure your exact plans but if you get in the night before the drive to Essaouira, then Asilah is not a bad stopping point about 60km along the motorway from the port or the campsite at Moulay we stopped at on the way home is about 2.5 hours from the port. Both obviously cut time of the next day.

BTW very warm welcome at Hotel Al Jasira when I arrived and 350dh B&B, I think this is cheaper than the online prices

Back