Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What A Result

mjw1999

I went down to my Toyota Dealer last week to order the parts to replace the injector seals from copper to Ali. Feeling a little disgruntled i decided to have a chat with the service manager as i felt i was shelling out on a fault that i felt rested with Toyota, kind of me bailing them out! I also told him my injectors were starting to rattle a little on a cold start. He was fully aware of the issue with copper seals and Engines going bang and he was also aware of the injector rattle which he said most pre 08 D4d's suffer from. "I agree and share your concerns with everything you have said" was his reaction,"How about we put a claim in with toyota for a full injector replacement". I explained that i was 18 months out of warranty and he realised that, but said that within 5 years and low millage (46000) i stood a very good chance.

Anyway today the claim has been excepted by toyota for complete change of all 4 injectors and pipes all FOC. Thats my seals well and truly sorted i think. While i would still have been better for toyota uk to do a full and proper recall regarding seals, i really cant fault this as its great customer service! :thumbup:

Good result might be worth sharing the Toyota dealer details for others?

Very nice result indeed.... wonder if I could get away with that myself.....

/goes away to ponder about this....

Nice one mjw, well done.

I went to my local Toyota dealer on Manchester Road,, Ian Purvis, I have known for some years.

He said, even thought it is not really old, (July 05) he said your mileage is rather high.
Infact, I am sure there isn't another 120 series, in UK, with that much.
I said, it had always been totally maintained, exclusivly by Toyota, even when abroard, it was done by Toyota Oslo.

He said he would ask, but "don't hold your breath".
A few days later Ian telephoned me, to say, just what he suspected, and Toyota have said too many miles. 242xxx.

Actually, Ian said, if it hasn't gone (engine popped) then it's unlikely to do so any time soon. Just leave it alone.

G.

Well i've just collected the vehicle from RRG Stockport and all is fine. New injectors fitted complete with new Ali seals. When i collected the car i asked if i could see the old injectors, so the service manager took me into the workshop and brought over the chief Mechanic who inspected them with me. They were indeed copper seals, but i'm glad to say they were squeaky clean in shiny new condition and showed no signs that they have leaked. He also told me that there is a slight problem with the copper seals and that is why toyota have changed them to Ali, however he said he had only ever had 2 landcruisers in with a seized engine and as long as the oil is changed regular with a quality oil you need not worry. Next he told me that the injector rattle problem is caused by blockages within the injector and toyota has changed the design of the injectors to correct this and the new type is what has been fitted today.

I'm well pleased with the outcome, especially since Mr T has covered the bill :clap: :thumbup: :clap: . I think the fact that its still just under 5 years old and a lot less that 60k on the clock that they saw sense. :dance:

A big thanks to the guys on this forum too who all keep each other aware of the possible problems and how to overcome them :thumbup:

While we were in the Pyrenees I noticed that the 120 engine sounded like Gimli was trying to hammer his way out once we got to 1800rpm and had a bit of engine load. So today, while it was at Mr T getting the a/c sorted - again (magnetic clutch failed for the 4th time now :) ) I got them to search for the noise. Ran diagnostics and 3 injectors are right on the upper tolerance level. Bugger...

Now I need to convince the (new) service manager to convince Mr T to come to the party and replace injectors and seals, and sort the oil pickup (at least check it) before it all goes bang....

I'm not a happy camper tonight :-( :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

On top of that, no magnetic clutch in the UK for at least 10 days!!

:shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fingers crossed you come right on the injectors, Gary! Not good news but at least you've caught it!

Gary Stockton said:
On top of that, no magnetic clutch in the UK for at least 10 days!! :shifty:
Hmmm who knows, you might get lucky and the UK isn't scorching hot over the next 10 days :whistle: It COULD happen! :laughing-rolling:

Faulty installation or faulty parts for the clutch failure? I assume it's bearing failure?

No power to the compressor from the clutch, so I guess the clutch isn't engaging which suggests bearings. It did sound tartly in the Lakes then settled down and stayed working until we headed for Toulouse lol

:thumbdown:
So NOT good news. Toyota have agreed that there is a problem with the injectors on my 120, and put in a warranty claim. Mr T has come back and said they won't entertain the claim because the vehicle is older than 60 months - despite the fact I have an extended warranty, have had all services done by dealer on time, etc.

They won't even consider a contribution towards replacement, for the same reason.

B'stards - I've just lost all respect for Toyota UK (not the dealer - he's not happy either but his hands are tied - for now). I know that's a knee-jerk reaction, but I'm :twisted: :twisted: :x :evil: :evil: annoyed ...

And I've just bought SWMBO a new Yaris - pity I've signed everything! :think:

Unfortunately for them (I hope), I have documented proof of me complaining, more than once, about injectors ages ago - you'd think they'd check their systems. :naughty:

So - what do I do? Challenge them, or wait for it all to go 'bang' and say I want a new motor under warranty? You'd think they'd figure that one out too... :doh: Seems odd I can extend the warranty for up to 8 years, but when things go wrong they quote a 5 year maximum? :think:

Anyone on here a lawyer??? :cry: And anyone know what the Toyota Ireland recall notice / number is so I can draw their attention to it?

The aircon is fixed though - for now :lol:

signed

Unhappy in Edinburgh :violin:

that's a bugger. Maybe you can change their mind with the old complaints?

In my previous life, part of my job was as a Warranty Manager so have several thousand paid claims under my belt including the submission of what is termed "policy" or "goodwill" when vehicles are out of warranty.
If you want some help putting together a claim package i can assist, will need quite a full story though.

Thanks Paul - that's very kind of you! Might just take you up on that!

I have been getting a little annoyed with this issue on injectors as Toyota should make their mind up one way or the other.
It will involve quite a bit of homework and compiling some facts and maybe an independant test if someone has some old parts, i can get this done.
A proper survey including serial numbers if people are willing to provide them is useful and if you are having problems then your dealer is obilged to give you the details of the Regional Service Manager who will be the point of contact and a reason for the rejection if still under warranty. You are also within your rights to ask for proof of the claim submission and rejection, in case it was not done.

Gary Stockton said:
:thumbdown:
So NOT good news.
This all sucks Gary :evil: C'mon our knight in shining armour Paul - stick it up 'em!!! :twisted:

Hope to hear improving news vay soon

Taken me a while to gather all my evidence, but just had a call from Border Toyota (great people, really :clap: ) to book the 120 in for injector overhaul / replacement. They reckon Toyota GB have an appointed injector overhaul company that checks them over and repairs / replaces as necessary. I didn't think that could be done on the D-4D but there you go....

So - I now know that the oil pickup is clean, and I'll be getting, at the very least, injectors in spec, and new seals, o-rings etc. - so hopefully as good as new by mid-September :lol: :pray:

Pretty chuffed - well worth the price of 2 x 1st class stamps!

Will report back.

Now just to find a job and life will be complete!!

Nice one!

Do you have the readouts from the initial tests? I'd like to compare to mine.

Nope - but I'll ask for them shall I so I can keep for my records :lol:

I am vindicated - the injectors, now they're in aproper test rig on a bench, have apparently failed spectacularly, whatever that means. Poor spray pattern etc at both idle and under pressure, and not repairable. So Mr T is coughing for a complete new set - injectors, seals, the whole tooty, and an ECU flash at the same time. Bad news is that the vehicle won't be back today, so my camping trip with my grand-daughter (shhhhh!!) is going to have to be cancelled. Bugger! Dunno if I can get the roof tent onto the loan Hilux bakkie they sent me :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
, so my camping trip with my grand-daughter (shhhhh!!)
Geez, Gary - should a grandpa be camping? :lol: You kept that one quiet!
Result getting the injectors sorted though! :thumbup: Makes you wonder what our average Mr T stealership does when 120 owners come in asking questions about injectors and getting them tested :think:

Back