Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what are your long term plans for your 80?

I dont mean overland builds, off road builds etc etc.

The 80, and indeed most of its owners are getting older now. They are taking that little bit more to keep on the road. The mechanics are pretty easy to sort and once done with genuine parts are good again in general for the next 200000 miles/15 years. The old rust is the killer, and the hardest thing to keep on top of imo. I know a few people on this forum have moved on to 100s. On mud some have put there 80 into retirement and gone on to more modern creature comforts.

At the moment i still want to keep mine forever and maybe be buried in it. In the next couple of years it will be having a full respray. To keep it as long as i envisage within the next five i hope to have the body off and the chassis galvanised. Money well spent imo, what else could i get for 5k for example?

so what are your long term plans? Run the old girl into the ground, break her and move onto the next 10 year old toyota? Sell your mint 80 in a couple of years and get a three year old hilux?

Or are you a lifer, doing whatever is necessary to keep the best all round 4x4 evermade in road worthy condition..?
Just intend to keep my 3 80s rolling as long as humanly possible. Done loads to them already and pleased to say I'm well on top of the tinworm. Mechanically they are sorted mind one is rather battered. Don't ever intend to sell any of them. Would just love to add a clean mk 3 hilux to the collection and think I'd be content for life. Just love driving my trucks on and off road.

Just intend to keep my 3 80s rolling as long as humanly possible. Done loads to them already and pleased to say I'm well on top of the tinworm. Mechanically they are sorted mind one is rather battered. Don't ever intend to sell any of them. Would just love to add a clean mk 3 hilux to the collection and think I'd be content for life. Just love driving my trucks on and off road.
Good man

I am sure I am a lifer but as per @stumog I carry a long term (left knee) injury so might need an auto conversion (which I would hate), if authorities allow it?

I too am now in a tin worm war with the rear arches, but plan to dig my heels in. To find an early 80 in good nick is becoming diffucult, and I do not like the later style dash so will stick with what I have, I pretty much know it inside out.

Yeh, bury me in it!

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had mine over 12 years now, the longest I've ever kept any vehicle, and currently have no plans to sell it. The old school repairability of the 80 is definitely a big plus but the bottom line is it's just a vehicle. If something comes along that tickles my fancy even more then the 80 will probably go but, then again, I'm not onto offroading (on 4 wheels) or over landing so I guess it's reputation in these fields is wasted on me. It'll probably be legislation that'll bring about the demise of older vehicles like the 80 series. JMO

Last edited:
It'll probably legislation that'll bring about the demise of older vehicles like the 80 series. JMO
Sad but true TP.
I've had my 80 over 13 years now, the longest I've ever kept any other vehicle was 3 years.

I've had mine 14 years now. It came to me as a snap purchase as my Shogun got stolen and I needed something quickly. I just rather liked the cruiser and it was immaculate being freshly imported. I love it now. It's the longest I've ever owned any vehicle. Guess I'm a lifer too. Hadn't thought about 'tomorrow', just driving it today and loving it. As long as condition stays as good then I see no time that I'll be parted from the ol' girl.

I would quite like a V8 hundee as a stablemate though…:think: I can dream. I could always trade the cursed Smart car in I suppose. :lol: Then there's a 40, I'd love one of those too…and an earlier round headlight 70 shortie. Oh dear!

Buried in it? Nah, I'd be happier up on my cloud if someone else was driving it around with a big grin on their face.

I want to keep it as long as possible but I'm afraid that the low emission zones will make it almost impossible to drive it in the future.
next year it will be decided if the place I work will be a LEZ. if that is the case I'm tempted to look at a Hilux or even a Ford Ranger (I've been talking to some Ranger owners who had a hilux before. they liked the ranger better because of the tiny 2.4 engine in the hilux)

With the previous posts declaring 80 ownership's of 12, 13 and 18 years and mine 11 years, clearly there's a hardcore of "lifers" on this forum, even if as owners there's some dreams of other vehicles, as Rich points out a V8 Hundee or a 40.

Land Cruisers have appeal, its different for each individual, but clearly there's a common thread.

Serviceability and just the bloody inevitable "grin" are two, and probably they're enough to keep the older trucks in the stable. I too dream of some others, but I'm lucky that I'm approaching the twilight years, too old to take on another "project" and well satisfied with everything my "old girl" delivers.

Love it!

Buried in it? Nah, I'd be happier up on my cloud if someone else was driving it around with a big grin on their face.
Yes Rich I think you're right, it was just an indication of how much we were attached, but the beast has given me so much enjoyment I couldn't deny that to someone else, but I'd have my eye on them and if they mistreated her I'd be back to haunt them. :scared-eek:

I dont have an 80... and am only a year into the 105 ownership and 5 yrs into the 120 ownership.

Am definitely keeping the 105 as long as I can. The LEZ sort of problems on the horizon might dampen that a bit, but I hope to keep it going as long as I can. For life if possible.

The 120 is the family bus, and my wifes daily drive. Aim to keep that running through as far as we can as well, but I can see it getting swapped for a hilux in the next 3 to 4 yrs time frame.

I'd sell my 80 if I got a fair price, if not I'm happy just to keep it.

Same here Chas. I could leave a note to that effect somewhere in it I suppose…Might put the fear of God into the new owner to read something like 'I may be gone…but I'm watching you'

Not really the lux I was referring to. It's m going to keep this one on the road as long as possible then when it's finally a clunker I'll strip it and build the blue one under the sheet

I left the under seal a little too late and the tin worm got me ill just keep welding steel to it forever in never getting rid of it, it owes me too much money
IMG_3310.JPG

Not really the lux I was referring to. It's m going to keep this one on the road as long as possible then when it's finally a clunker I'll strip it and build the blue one under the sheet

I kind of guessed didn't mean the lux :icon-wink:

The way the grey one has pulled this last y two weeks I think it's going to be a while before I break out the back up. It's been faultless. Just a joy to drive
But then prep and maintenance are key to that and it's had tonnes

Back