Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What does D4D mean???

Dieseldragon

Googled the cr*p out of it, but I can find no definition for D4D. Someone asked me yesterday. What does it mean, if anything?

Diesel 4cyl D​irect injection?

I may be wrong but I think the 200 series has a D4D designation on the engine cover of its V8 diesel engine and on the outside. It may be that it has that designation is for the bank of four cylinders with direct injection and/ or 4 valves/ cyl.

Just floundering around really:lol:

Its just a marketing badge the 1KD Direct injection replaced the 1KZ indirect injection with no mention of D4D but when it proved to be a smart move the marketing boys needed a name to shout .

Hahaha, so nobody knows what it means! I would have guessed something like D something 4 stroke Diesel or something , but it must have a meaning somewhere. Can't see it's just random, when all other manufacturers use letters as short for their diesel tech

Its probably something like Diesel 4cyl Direct injection, I could be wrong, some of the D4D's I have seen had the second D in red.
I can't seem to find anything on line either so perhaps we should ask Simon at Steven Eagle :)
Or failing that a Toyota salesman lol.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its just a marketing badge the 1KD Direct injection replaced the 1KZ indirect injection with no mention of D4D but when it proved to be a smart move the marketing boys needed a name to shout .

I was looking at this thread earlier but had to go and cut some branches of a tree for telephone engineers to improve my internet!

Thought of the v8 d4d. .. came to the conclusion that its as Shayne says. Toyota couldn't call it tdi, did, cdi etc.. so settled for d4d and to be honest it has a better or different edge to it. Whether or not it has a direct meaning. Just an unique way of putting it forward.. :think:

All the references I've found on gurgle (none of them official just Joe-public posts) say...

D-4D stands for direct Injection 4 Cylinder Common Rail Diesel Engine...

Wiki also uses the same description in its listings of all Toyota engines...

Back