Firewout

Garage
Country Flag
belgium
Beadbuttdials013.jpg
HDJ80 '97
manual gearbox
HD-FT engine

the light comes on briefly in a hard turn.

btw, the photo is from joinerman's old 80 dashboard, but the symbol is the same.
downloaded the user's manual, but this light is mentioned nowhere.

Last edited:
Turbo light is it not , does it come on as you accelerate out of the corner ?

Check the hose to the waste gate isn't leaking, have you upped the boost, have you a boost pressure gauge or boost controller fitted

Andy

Thanks already for the superfast response.

I think it is not boost related.

I first noticed it in the alps when driving downhill in low gear at 5 km/h and braking on the engine and making a tight turn.
Must be something different than too much turbo pressure. It only comes on in turns and very briefly.
:think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That picture is MY old 80, recognise the crack & the black tape over the K in miles per hour.

Made me chuckle that Joinerman do you still wake in the night instinctively knowing she needs fed or changed :lol:

That picture is MY old 80, recognise the crack & the black tape over the K in miles per hour.
:icon-biggrin: Ok joinerman, I changed it in the OP.

Thanks a lot for all the answers. Now I have a good starting point for fault finding.
Can anyone point out where I can find the boost sensor?

Boost sensor/pressure switch is under the bonnet on a bracket on the right hand side about half way. Trace the boost pipes, they will lead you. Sounds to me like something shorting the wires if it's turn related. Check nothing is trapping the wires or moving against them.

Last edited:
Tnx SC,
I'll have a look for it on saturday.

When that red light comes on in my dash I know that I have to lift off a little bit and have a glance at the EGT.
I have upped the boost and fuel and have a 3" exhaust and front mounted Intercooler. So for me the red light is something to be aware of but not a major problem. When I set the truck up I decided that max boost would be just below the factory max boost switch setting. Works 99% of the time but sometimes under hard acceleration I will get the red light until I adjust throttle or the load eases off.

Because you mention that it only happens on turns I would be checking the mounting of the pressure switch and the wiring to it.

Good luck finding intermittent wiring faults that only occur with the vehicle in motion.

Back