Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it???!!!!

Steveindar

Country Flag
tanzania
Trying to get the internal lights to switch on/off on command and opened this cover to see if there was another bulb hidden inside and found this!!

What is it??:confusion-question: IMG_20151208_113930.jpgIMG_20151208_113941.jpgIMG_20151208_114129.jpg

Looks like it belongs.

Seeing the main purpose was to get the lights working, a few questions.

Is there a light switch on the rear door/s? Where??? Can't find one.
Four doors, four switches, do they all control both interior lights when switched to door or are front and rear independent?

Cheers

Steve

My understanding is the front light by the interior mirror is a manual switch only.
The front door switches operate the middle light, and the rear door switched operate the rear light.
I don't know what the "magic box" you've found does.

Not much help really.

I have a problem where everything seems to check out with a tester, but I still have the front (drivers door) and rear diagonally opposing door which do not operate the interior lights at all.

Another sumptom is that the drivers door no longer operates the "lights-on" warning buzzer.

My understanding is the front light by the interior mirror is a manual switch only.
The front door switches operate the middle light, and the rear door switched operate the rear light.
I don't know what the "magic box" you've found does.

Not much help really.

I have a problem where everything seems to check out with a tester, but I still have the front (drivers door) and rear diagonally opposing door which do not operate the interior lights at all.

Another sumptom is that the drivers door no longer operates the "lights-on" warning buzzer.

We'll have to swop solutions...when we find them!

On mine, the side doors operate the centre light and the tailgate operates both the rear light and the centre.

My rear side door switches were inoperative from when u first bought the truck in '04. I got round to looking into it last year (cobblers children being the worst shod) and found the switches were not making contact, probably through corrosion within. I bridged the wire to the body as a test and bingo the light came on, meaning all else was correct.

I sprayed all sorts into the switches and got them to work but they have gone back to about 80% hit rate so I may well invest in new ones.

As for the box, is it to do with the compass? Not sure as I always assumed it was a blanked off light pod.

On mine, the side doors operate the centre light and the tailgate operates both the rear light and the centre.

My rear side door switches were inoperative from when u first bought the truck in '04. I got round to looking into it last year (cobblers children being the worst shod) and found the switches were not making contact, probably through corrosion within. I bridged the wire to the body as a test and bingo the light came on, meaning all else was correct.

I sprayed all sorts into the switches and got them to work but they have gone back to about 80% hit rate so I may well invest in new ones.

As for the box, is it to do with the compass? Not sure as I always assumed it was a blanked off light pod.

Compass! Now there's a thought. Disconnect and check what doesn't work I suppose. I thought at first it may have something to do with a tracking system which I ripped out when I bought her.
I also think the switches are not at their best.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So, underwhelmed by the responses (maybe you're all actually gainfully employed) I tackled the problem head-on. Nothing much holding me back, just a couple of deadlines that can wait!
First strip out one of the door switches and figure how it is supposed to work.
In the door open position the switch should be normally closed. Not much happening here.

IMG_20151208_142201.jpg

So how to strip and get to the guts?
Drill out the three plastic posts..we'll need the holes for later.

IMG_20151208_142253.jpg
Expose the workings.

IMG_20151208_141550.jpg

Seems some of the contacts are broken

What it should look like
IMG_20151208_143426.jpg

Slightly buggered
IMG_20151208_141727.jpg

So with a bit of heat, bend the contacts back into something workable.

IMG_20151208_152200.jpg

Clean up the tab on the earth-plate. Seems it's the major problem.

IMG_20151208_143840.jpg

Slap the lot together, wire it closed (remember the holes), test that it opens when pressed. Fasten and repeat!

IMG_20151208_165915.jpg

I can now confirm, as per clive, that the four side doors DO in fact operate the center light and the rear Hatch operates both the center and rear lights.

IMG_20151208_170156.jpg

And just in case you were wondering, there's a micro-switch in there somewhere that operates the rear light.
IMG_20151208_160430.jpg

Still don't know what this is or does!!!

IMG_20151208_113930.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151208_141534.jpg
    IMG_20151208_141534.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20151208_141636.jpg
    IMG_20151208_141636.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20151208_141825.jpg
    IMG_20151208_141825.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20151208_152708.jpg
    IMG_20151208_152708.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20151208_142724.jpg
    IMG_20151208_142724.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 185
is it a sensor for the alarm? breaking glass or something? I have a differently shaped one in the jack space in the boot. I am presuming thats what mine is anyway!

Most useful info on door/ interior light solutions. I will remember this post, thankyou Steve.:thumbup:

is it a sensor for the alarm? breaking glass or something? I have a differently shaped one in the jack space in the boot. I am presuming thats what mine is anyway!

I ripped all that stuff out ages ago. Maybe I missed this. It just seems like it belongs there. Fits nicely although the plugs don't look standard Toyota. What do you have under that cover?

Dont have a cover like that I am afraid :( could be a gps finder tracker? who's been watching you????/

My comments about the front doors operating the middle light and the rear doors operating the rear light may be different from UK models because I have the ambulance type back doors instead of a tailgate.

As I said before, I don't think I'm of much assistance on this thread, but I would like to solve my problem eventually, so I'm staying tuned :lol:

Do you have the centre roof console with the altimeter? That unit looks like the sensor for it.

Having a cargo area light id say you have a jdm cruiser. As said thats the magnetic field sensor for the compass. The altimeter works off air pressure and is self contained requiring no sensors, although its probable better at predicting the weather than altitude... the sub tank was never offered in japan, ive heard there was a "gps" version but ive never seen it.

Yup..

There is a sequence thats in the fsm for re-calibrating the compass.

Last edited:
Back