Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is Spill Control Valve?

Heisenberg

I have an intermittent problem with a Spill Control Valve on my 2002 Prado (1KZ-TE). If it sees any biodiesel it jams, even at 50%. I;'ve been making bio for years, and running it in Mitsis and mercs with no problems. I'd be happy to pay the $700 required to replace it, but I'd have no guareantee that it wouldn't fail again.

The question is whether the SCV has any rubber components that can fail. Can anyone tell me what one of these things is and how they work

It's on top of your fuel pump and electronically controls how much fuel is injected , maybe it is set to run too lean to take your bio and you can turn up the fuel . Beau posted a pic of a dismantled SCV on his "strange starting problems" thread recently .

Heisenberg, where are you and your truck located? It's also good to introduce yourself.

With the biodiesel, overtime the less lube qualities can wear internal parts of the pump and cause problems. On the other hand, filters can get blocked. Check out these two videos on how to go about servicing them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzws_H9z5Zg

Also how do you know the spill control jams? What are your symptoms?

The spill control valve can be tested with a Ohm meter and should read between 1-2 OHMS. Measure at the plug with the engine off (only way).

Back