Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is this pipe?

Aeroelastic

Country Flag
uk
Hi I am tracing an oil leak at the back of my Prado engine, 3.0 KZTE 1997. The pipe in red arrow below is full of black oil along almost the full length.

What is this pipe? Where is it connected to under the egr?

The egr pipe is very clean though…

Attachments

• 8A562F52-283C-4951-9D0D-D460BF475AAA.jpeg
    8A562F52-283C-4951-9D0D-D460BF475AAA.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 27BB6A92-3CA5-4DF2-AD37-C9B3F459FF15.jpeg
    27BB6A92-3CA5-4DF2-AD37-C9B3F459FF15.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi - the red arrowed pipe is the heater inlet pipe. It attaches to the side of the cylinder head.
I am hoping you mean the pipe is covered in oil and not full of oil?

Thanks, sorry I meant covered in oil. My throttle body is covered in oil too. Guess the leak is from there..

For a minute i thought we were going to have a thread about Black oil seeping through air vents on to the carpet......

That will be quite scary

I read somewhere on the Hilux KZTE forum that seals of the shafts of the throttle butterflies can fail resulting in oil leak and “spraying” outside and around.. anyone experienced this before? Can the seal be replaced separately? I think the forum also said that the big butterfly is riveted or fixed to the shaft and need to be drill out to replace the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t have any direct experience of that although I have read something similar.
As a general approach, is it better to thoroughly clean/degrease the area and then monitor over a few days. Maybe the source of the oil becomes more obvious then.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back