Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is this?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
What's the rusty looking pulley in this photo attached to?

It looks to be a pump of some kind with a magnetic clutch fitted to it and looking at the pipe run I would say it something to do with the cabin heating, but I can't get the thing to run no matter what settings I have the heaters on and wonder if it shagged hense the rusty look of it. The heaters all appear to work well, so I'm a little perplexed as to the pumps purpose?!

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated :) :) :)

IMG_9654_zps132d06a7.jpg

That's the AC compressor clutch, there should be a 2 wire feed and a grey connector on the top. You can pull open the connector and jumper 12v and negative from the battery to test the clutch operation. You should see it pull towards the bulkhead by 5mm or so.

That's the quick warm up heater with the water pipes on it. There should be a corresponding switch on the dashboard to engage the electric switch and turn it on. The aircon pump has high pressure pipes and an automatic clutch when A/C is turned on.

Thanks for your replies guys :) It is in fact the quick warm up thing and all works fine when the the button is pressed, I popped out and gave it a go after reading your reply Frank. Push button, engine RPM increases, magnetic clutch pulls in and pump starts spinning round :) Beyond that I have no idea what's going on and how this helps a quick warm up, but thanks for solving my mystery for me :) :thumbup:

Frank is correct. The 90 D-4D onwards have them. There is a water jacket around the exhaust manifold which that pump pushes water around and then into the cab matrix. Worked very well on the 120.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been using the thing a lot since I've owned Swampy, but had no idea what was going on beyond pushing the switch and the increase in engine RPM. You learn some thing new every day and I shall have another look at the pipe runs and the pump tomorrow with new knowledge of what's going on. From memory the pipe work not only goes towards boosting the heater matrix temperature quicker, but also the engine cooling circuit. I guess to bring the engine up to its operating temp faster. Think ill give the clutch a spray of Duck Oil while I've got my head under there looking at the rusty water that's come out of if!

IIRC the pipework bypasses the radiator over the top of the thermostat so it's pumping hot water around the block as well to bring it up quicker. When the 'stat reaches temp then it opens and things go back to normal.
The 120's worked very well in the cold. They seem to have ruined it on the 150 though - takes ages to warm up. There's not much difference between it on and off. Maybe half a mile of driving.

The bearings on my 120 started growling slightly (too much Lincomb mud-water?) and Mr-T will only sell you a complete unit at silly prices. If you're ever after some PM to do then might be worth taking it apart and getting the bearing info for a rainy day.

My 2000 X plate collie has an idle up button that does the same thing but not sure where the little heater thing is.

Looks very much like the Power Heater you find on the HDJ100, and a few other models. Look here http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/43928-Power-Heater?highlight=power+heater

It actually generates about 1.5 KW of heat, and is called a friction heater. Made by Denso. http://www.toyota-industries.com/product/auto/compressor/other.html

Actually needed only at very low operating temperatures, like colder than minus 20 C.

PowerHeat.jpg

My 2000 X plate collie has an idle up button that does the same thing but not sure where the little heater thing is.

I don't think the 90 series 1kzt-e is equipped with the same sort of unit. Our "idle up" feature only increases our engine revs so in theory it would warm up quicker. However on the D4D they actually have pipes plumbed in to heat up quicker to warm up the cabin and engine quicker....

At least that's what I think...

Back