Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What Model Year VDJ200 (European) are DPF equipped?

Brett

Country Flag
uk
Trying to find out a bit more information about what model years had DPF's installed from the Factory, or earlier vehicles had them installed at point of entry (similar to the 80 series moon roofs?) as a retrofit.

My 2011 VDJ200, I initially thought did not have a DPF fitted, but Euro 5 which demands a DPF came out in 2009, so according to Euro 5 it should have one installed. I know for Australia, the DPF's were not fitted until 2015 model year.

Going through my Owners handbook there is no mention of DPF at all, there is also no regeneration button, like I had in my 2014 Hilux, and I have never noticed any type of regen. being performed in the 18 months of my ownership. Additionally, checking TOYODIY against my VIN number shows a non DPF pair of front pipes as standard for my LC.

However! Also within my document pack I have found the following Toyota publication:- AIM 001 057-3 - Land Cruiser V8 Diesel Particulate Filter Installation Instructions

And sure enough, under the truck, my standard system has been replaced with the DPF option as per below screen snip taken from AIM 001 057-3.

1673260064456.png

What I don't understand is, how can this be a true DPF? There is no connection for the extra injectors, there is no DPF button in the cab for initiating a forced regen and as far as I can see, no warning lights in case the DPF is blocked. I know that before the advent of Euro 5, Toyota was trialling a DPNR (Diesel Particulate NOx Reduction) and this appears similar to that, as that was a fully maintenance free ceramic filter.

Looking at the test results, before and after, the DPF option I have installed (it's a Twintec PMFA Type TA apparently) only seems to reduce CO2, the mass emissions and Fuel consumption actually increase after replacing the OE exhaust!

Test Report here: Comparitive Measurements with and without Toyota Particulate system

Does anyone know anything more about these? Is there any maintenance required?

Last edited:
I believe the extra injectors for regen are situated at the rear of the engine under a cover and are not visible....

I don't think they are installed on the pre 2012 trucks. The later DPF's look like this:-

1673344304488.png

Where my DPF is like this:-

1673344759663.png

The first chamber ( turbo end) is a catalytic convertor, the second is the DPF, as you can see compared to the later trucks, the retrofit kit is dumb. It has no sensors or fuel lines running to them.

I don't know about the 200, but I read a lot about the 150 / HiLux since I got my new 150. There has been a class action in Australia about faulty DPFs and Toyota made a number of changes in recent years. They only started adding the manual regen button in 2018; interesting you had yours in 2014, but maybe that's a Euro market thing. Also the injector to push fuel into the system to get the DPF hot to burn off soot is in the manifold. It's not on the DPF itself.

I can’t see its a proper DPF system as it has no way to monitor in and out pressures, and therefore calculate ash load, initiate a regen, and then recalculate its effectiveness. It looks more like an additional standard diesel exhaust filter.

Thanks for reply, the diagnostic (Launch tool) is the same as the Techstream have used both ,they do not have a dedicated DPF reset for DPF having been cleaned or replaced !.So it seems to me it must use :- Regen performed - completed / diff pressure reduction during / max sustained temp during regen to calculate remaining soot ? - temp max at 578 deg C on both , I thought that was enough ,but may be not.

Have been looking for the 5th injectors (1 for each bank), have been through every manual / video I can find, none show where they are on the D4D 4.5 V8 used in the LC200. having removed the intercooler & top half of the inlet manifold so I can see more ? -still cannot see any sign of them or the wiring to them. Toyota charge £ 549 each - Does any know where they are fitted .
Many Thanks
Hi Rob, If you look at this previous post from Cruiserman, I don't think they are fitted in the inlet manifold, his truck is a 2015 and would have the later proper DPF filter. Mine is a 2011 and has the retrofit filter.

For the early trucks, I have the Toyota installation guide for the retrofit, it is linked above, and there is no mention of injectors, it would be a big job to install all of that and as stated, it is not even hinted at in the install guide. Also, I have just found the Denso service manual for the injection pump and system. there are only 8 injectors on the early trucks. See link below:

Denso IP Service Guide

As Dave has also said in post #5, I don't believe it is a true DPF.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I can’t see its a proper DPF system as it has no way to monitor in and out pressures, and therefore calculate ash load, initiate a regen, and then recalculate its effectiveness. It looks more like an additional standard diesel exhaust filter.
Hi Dave, I agree. Added some more info above.

At 2011 the DPF was equiped in Europe. Not shure if they arrive already mounted, or if this happens in europe itself.

At last my 200 was equipped with DPF, bough new at 2011.

Surfy

At 2011 the DPF was equiped in Europe. Not shure if they arrive already mounted, or if this happens in europe itself.

At last my 200 was equipped with DPF, bough new at 2011.

Surfy
Surfy, was your DPF the same as mine (also a 2011 truck) like this?
1673344759663-png.328402

I would say yes, but better you check it too:

Here is a picture from below - probably it helps

Attachments

• landcruiser-200-botton.jpg
    landcruiser-200-botton.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 78
I would say yes, but better you check it too:

Here is a picture from below - probably it helps
Hi Surfy, yes that is the same as mine, thanks for posting the picture!

Going back to you previous post, I suspect they were fitted in Europe, Toyota did the same with the 80 series in UK fitting the horrible "moon roof" at point of entry. They definitely were not factory fitted, as they are not on the parts manual diagrams, also the document and fitting instructions, clearly state retrofit.

Did you ever notice your truck performing a regen? I am almost 100% convinced these are not a true DPF. Did you have any issues with it whilst owning your 200?

AVvXsEgH_ObNE7Mi_1VEHO7ipSd6P593tM0bYWLDfLV6OzybN2KXaVGUUQEfN-CWXHdB1zbjZtf42_mHZloCs4u7xWd9gZPA_aFcszc2mm0DMZIs9YiMDcTo4YtAwCBdvyIWm0c7VO9Da-UX5knpuRkQpoY27e1SokuDA9OrXyfApGadruWZ6-yrWDMbY0kW=s1280

Above is inside of the picture too a map of my travels with the Landcruiser 200 (J20) V8 Diesel Biturbo (289hp, 650nm)

I did mostly do a blog post with pictures each day:

Transafrica 2012/2013 Reisetagebuch - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
Iceland 2014 Reisetipp: Island mit dem 4x4 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
South America 2015 Adventure-Overland - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
Eastern Europa 2018 Reisetipp: Osteuropa mit dem 4x4 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
Sweden 2020 Vanlife and Overlanding in Sweden - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

I dont had issues with the dpf on my 120`000km of trips, thats 74564miles.

I can also recommend the vehicle for a trip around the world without hesitation. There is currently nothing better, especially when it comes to international spare parts supply. And the comfort of the AHC shock absorbers on road and offroad.

You can find a list of mods I did, with links to the manufacturers, in my old sales ad: zu verkaufen: Landcruiser 200 Diesel - Offroad Reisefahrzeug - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
And here a list of Mods I wouldn`t do again for overlanding or vanlife: Mods I wouldn`t do again for overlanding or vanlife - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Have fun with that excellent vehicle!

Surfy

Last edited:
what model years had DPF's
Not sure when exactly these came into car but mine is 2014 model and it has DPF regen button under the steering. Its not after market, it looks like factory fitted.

Not sure what year it is but a friend has had a nightmare with his DPF and the 5th injectors..... one bank would regen ok the other not..... various sensors were changed to no avail.... Toyota in the UK were pretty hopeless and didn't know where the injectors were and to start with reckoned they were not fitted..... a very diligent Indy garage got hold of it and traced the fault to the fuel supply pipe to one of the as far as Toyota were concerned non existent 5th injectors being blocked .... the 5th injectors are located at the very rear of the engine at arms length reach down the back of the block....you need to kneel on top of the engine to get to them.... the very persistent Indy managed to eventually get the pipe cleared of a hard black soot/coke type deposit after many hrs .....
I think this issue was caused by previous owner being an older gent and short journeys .....
Moral of the story is drive a 200 like you stole it and don't just use it for local trips where it never gets properly warm.... not an issue Surfy is likely to have ;-)

I think your friends one would have been the later model with a true DPF unlike mine and Surfy's which are the passive type. We have no regen functionality and I'm pretty sure no dedicated 5th injector per bank.

Not sure when exactly these came into car but mine is 2014 model and it has DPF regen button under the steering. Its not after market, it looks like factory fitted.
I suspect with the 2012 facelift in Europe Raj

Reactions: Raj
drive a 200 like you stole it
it's not fun to keep it at 60 or 70 mph and below that is even worse. 80mph and above is its sweet spot and looks like this is good for the engine as well. Initially, when I got this beast I always tried to keep it at 60 but now since I got used to its size, 80 became the new norm :) Good that 80 is the legally allowed upper speed limit

I suggest to change the mechanic / garage. The 200er arent sold that often, and many mechanics dont have any experience.

I know other who are driving a newer european spec without any hassle, so I suggest to try to resolve it :)

Surfy

I also have a 2011 Euro 4 200 sold new in Germany. My impression is that these dpf's were retrofitted in Europe upon arrival. I got a bunch of documentation about it with the car. Parts list as well as TÜV-certification.

As already mentioned these are passive filters i.e there are no sensors and no active regeneration. It also means that the ECU won't know if you remove them and it will not trigger any fault codes. Regarding service my guess would be that these act as normal catalytic converter and over time the accumulated soot risk blocking the flow.

2012 and later Euro 5 cars have active dpf's.

Last edited:
Back