Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What oil for diffs and transfer box?

RBG21

Country Flag
uk
I ended up buying that red 80 I linked in the other thread and I want to go to the auto factors and get new engine and diff oils for it and change them all.

Just wondered what oil a 1994 4.2 12V with triple diff locks takes? I’m guessing 75-90 but don’t want to put the wrong stuff in!.
Also would he really handy to know how much oil they take, would be really grateful to anyone who could let me know.

This is from the owners manual of a 24v model but I would imagine they're virtually the same.
You'll want 10L of engine oil for an oil and filter change.

Attachments

• 7048C791-1C66-4B87-BB31-D8E73079BB9C.png
    7048C791-1C66-4B87-BB31-D8E73079BB9C.png
    801.6 KB · Views: 97
This is from the owners manual of a 24v model but I would imagine they're virtually the same.
Thanks a lot for posting this, it was really helpful, looks like I’ve already got the right stuff for the transfer box, just need to get the stuff for the diffs on Monday.

Although the manuals say slightly different specs for the transfer box and the axles, Toyota now say 75w90 GL4/5 for both - according to Roughtrax website.

Attachments

• E0286D1F-149D-4F1F-8A14-B6F15CDF201C.png
    E0286D1F-149D-4F1F-8A14-B6F15CDF201C.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 76
Although the manuals say slightly different specs for the transfer box and the axles, Toyota now say 75w90 GL4/5 for both - according to Roughtrax website.

I put that stuff in all the diffs and transfer box on my 120 and it hasnt gone bang yet :)

During various researches I did on the 12 valve versions with the earlier manual gearbox, it seems GL4 is the better oil, GL5 having too much hypoid in it that attacks the synchromesh. Interesting here in Spain the higher the number the better 'X' oil is right? So further research and a discussion with a Castrol rep in Australia and then again the same discussion with a UK rep of the same company they both recommended different oils, but neither said use GL5 soooooo.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I ended up buying that red 80 I linked in the other thread and I want to go to the auto factors and get new engine and diff oils for it and change them all.

Just wondered what oil a 1994 4.2 12V with triple diff locks takes? I’m guessing 75-90 but don’t want to put the wrong stuff in!.
Also would he really handy to know how much oil they take, would be really grateful to anyone who could let me know.

Just a note to the unwise, undo the FILL plug BEFORE undoing the DRAIN plug, you would not be the first to drain the oil and be unable to get the fill plug released!

Regards

Dave

Just a note to the unwise, undo the FILL plug BEFORE undoing the DRAIN plug, you would not be the first to drain the oil and be unable to get the fill plug released!

Regards

Dave
Sound advice thanks.

You need to put different oil in the rear diff if it is ltd slip diff than front diff.
i can dig out the specs if you need

You need to put different oil in the rear diff if it is ltd slip diff than front diff.
i can dig out the specs if you need

It's got locking front and rear diffs, the centre locks too but there isn't a button for it, from what I've read it locks automatically when you put it in low range.

It's got locking front and rear diffs, the centre locks too but there isn't a button for it, from what I've read it locks automatically when you put it in low range.
Correct, but for some of us it is better to have manual control over the centre differential lock, there is a plug behind the dashboard and you simply replace one of the blanks with a 'center' diff lock button.

Whoever told the Japanese that center is the correct spelling for the button I have no idea? :confounded:

Regards

Dave

Correct, but for some of us it is better to have manual control over the centre differential lock, there is a plug behind the dashboard and you simply replace one of the blanks with a 'center' diff lock button.

Whoever told the Japanese that center is the correct spelling for the button I have no idea? :confounded:

Regards

Dave
I’m probably going to get the extra button for it at some point, I’ve only had a very brief read but I think there’s a way to stop it locking automatically when you engage low too?.

I’m probably going to get the extra button for it at some point, I’ve only had a very brief read but I think there’s a way to stop it locking automatically when you engage low too?.
Yes but you need to either disconnect the switch on the transfer box, or disconnect on the wires in the ECU I am not going to say the colour as I cannot remember. I also think you may find you cannot engage the axle locks either if the centre lock does not confirm it is engaged though? I done all my mods, 12 volt, starting, all electric cooling fan and so forth years ago so cannot really remember much.

Regards

Dave

It's called the 'pin 7' mod. It consists of the center diff lock button and a jumper wire config. (not to be confused with the '7 pin' mod. This is simply the addition of the center diff lock button in non-button-equipped rigs). Search ih8mud.com for (several) full write up(s).

I'm running the mod on a '93/K294 and would not have it any other way. Full control over the center lock in high and low. This allows 3-lock engagement in high. (used mainly for maintaining momentum thru high snow drifts in my area)

Last edited:
Back