Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

what papers prove that I am the owner

Rob Voerman

Hi All

i need to import my car to france as the DVLA no longer reconises my french insurance,

what papers prove that I own the car, the V5 says on the top THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP

thats all I have?

A receipt from the purchase?? If you don't have one, I think you can get a search done to prove there's no financial obligation in the vehicle not in your name. But I'd try for the receipt first.

receipt is the main one, might have to prove that the VAT is paid on it too so you dont get charged for it again.

Better check about length of ownership too, it seems to make a difference on any possible duties if you have owned it for over a year. Not sure if that applies to France as we are all in Europe.

Is the car still in UK?

What is problem with insurance - is it when it comes to get the road fund licence disc?

hi all,

I ahve an address (boat) in wroxham and we live in france most of the time, the french insisted that if we are here for more than 3 months we are to use the french insurance,

this was no problem the first year with Uk DVLA but now they sent me a fine of 100 pounds because I am not insured in the UK??

best after speaking to a gazillion people at DVLA is that we import the car into france, they want all the papers, recipt I have and car has no outstanding but how to prove it?

Rob Voerman said:
hi all,
...and car has no outstanding but how to prove it?
If by this you mean no outstanding finance... could you not use one of those car checking comapanies which give you a printed result of Outstanding Finance etc... I used one recently to check a second hand car and it was instant and only cost around £10. Take a look at mycarcheck.com

Good luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I do hope that wasn't checking me and Lil Blue!! I'm crushed. What happened to trust? :cry: :cry:

Chris

Chris said:
I do hope that wasn't checking me and Lil Blue!! I'm crushed. What happened to trust? :cry: :cry:

Chris

:violin:

This is probably illegal but could you register it SORN and use only abroad? Won't get the dvla no insurance fine anymore... Or you could send the dvla proof of hour French insurance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

thought about that but should I have a terminal accident then the car is illegal, they will find out.

I have sent the DVLA a copy of my policy, translated and all and they say no it has to be English company ????

Ask them to reference the law that states car insurance needs to bought from a English company, AFAIK as long as your covered you are legal. You may be in breach of other laws which dictate which country your vehicle should be registered in so might not me the best idea to take it court. BTW I'm no lawyer and this is only my opinion not fact.

Great, another way this new insurance law is screwing people over :evil:

Think id be asking them to show me proof of claim by demonstrating clear evidential proof of the vehicle being used on UK roads at the time of the alleged incident.

Some foreign insurers are on the DVLA 'approved' list. My parent's english reg car is insured with a spanish company, as it spends a lot of time there, and the spanish outfit give unlimited time fully comp cover outside of spain.

Back