Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What to do after Prado was locked away for over 1.5 years.

theetripletee

Country Flag
germany
Hey folks,

When the pandemic hit we were isolated from our Prado in Argentina due to an unforeseen border closure. It seems like we will not be able to move it again until December this year, by which time it stood for over 1.5 years. The Prado is in a safe spot, but there is no one and no way we consider sending our keys to someone down there.
Question is:
What would you check/change/service before moving it longer distances?
The Prado is 2012, 150tkm and was left with a full gas tank. It is parked in Tierre del Fuego.
Thanks for all your inputs!
Mike and Linda

Attachments

• 20200121_070150.jpg
    20200121_070150.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 59
I'd service it (oil, oil filter, fuel filter). Check and ensure brakes are free, drain the old fuel and check batteries. Fill it up and drive away.....

Personally i'd just turn the key and drive away expecting a few minor oil leaks that will fix themselves once the oil heats up .

Take a battery and fuel. Fuel will probably be contaminated and battery bwill most likely be dead. Everything else should be fine

New battery and i bet she'll start first time, the old batteries will more than likely be sulphated beyond recovery.
If its been exposed to wet weather might have seized brakes, so probably worth whipping the wheels off and giving them the once over, might have a flat tyre or two but check carefully for perishing even if not.

as shayne says. may need a bump or jump start then it will be good to go. a service wouldn't do it any harm though

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tyres would also need inspecting to check for flat spots/damage/perishing etc. Like others say the battery will be toast.

Also, whip the air cleaner out during your initial inspection, if rodents have made a home in there (or on the cabin filter) you don't want any of their debris being sucked into the engine.

Back