Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's going on with the tyre situation in UK?

285/55/r20's
I too looked at them and from what I read they will fit 20 inch rims without any rubbing or mods. Will wait and may be follow your choice.

Geolandar g015 and the falken are a good choice too. The bfg seem well over priced
Yes the BFG's are really expensive now. It also grips me a bit, paying that much for a design that hasn't changed for so many years, I fitted a set to my Wife's old 300Tdi Disco must be about 18 years ago, and they are still identical. I also had a really bad experience with the old BFG MT's on my old Ninety.

I do like the look of the Wildpeaks, closest size I can find to what I want is 275/55/r20, they don't seem to do any 285's, I'll have to look at the actual dimensions a bit closer. The Geolander's I'm not so keen.

Ordered a set of the 275/55/r20 Wildpeaks, being fitted Saturday morning. :cool:

Also do some research, see how the Falken AT3W's stack up against BFG's which are totally overpriced now, £384 each for 285/55's? What I can and can't afford is not your concern, but I know value when I see it and I know the Falken's will be fine for me and my use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whole thread has gone way off track . Todays bureaucracy and standards would make finding the worst tyres a needle in a haystack .

I drive on muds and a handbrake turn would i'm sure prove underwhelming in any of my trucks rain or shine . And yes my handbrakes are good enough to pull it off .

A reasonably priced economically viable aesthetically pleasing that fits is the winning tyre .

An expensive tyre that lasts 100 thousand miles makes no financial sense at all if its going to be 5 years old before it covers 10 thousand miles .

Threads in general tend to go off track as they roll on, objective views/opinions are good, but tyres (like most things) shouldnt necessarily be based on price, i.e. most expensive are best.
Most will base their purchase on what suits their budget, regardless of which may be considered the 'best'
Sensible statement about the winning tyre.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the AT's. I considered going to AT's but in the end I went for the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek's. It was partly that any 20" tyre was going to have to be relatively low profile and I wasn't a fan of a low profile AT tyre.

I've looked at getting some 17" rims from Cabmasters. They are fitted to LC200's in the developing hemisphere and obviously they open up a world of possibilities in terms of tyre size.

Whilst the 200 could never be described as economical, I get low 20's in day to day driving and even towing a 2800kg trailer / boat combo at motorway speeds, it still exceeds 16 mpg.

The Falkens are, H speed rated (130mph) which is rare in a decent AT, the BFG's are T rated (118mph) which doesn't really tie in with his "drive it like you stole it" It's 3peak rated, same as the BFG, has a 55000 mile tread wear warranty, and a damage warranty. It has better fuel economy and performs better in wet braking tests than the BFG. I don't buy based on price alone.

Guy, if you want the smaller rims and Grand treks, I can point you in the direction of someone who has brand new genuine Toyota 200 series steelies, with brand new Grand treks (Take offs). Set of 5 for £280.00 or bare wheels, again brand new set of for for £40 plus £50 postage.

I did consider going this route but again really struggled finding the tyres I wanted. I'm really pleased with the Falken's after a couple of days of driving them.

Its just a slip so get a grip in half a lap you reach the pit .

What do you think would be the right Tyre pressure for cold/wet situation for a BFG MT KM2.
Same question for MFG AT KO2.
(TLC80, 4.2l, 24V, 1997)

I never had BFG but with coopers 285/75 i think of 35psi as low pressure better grip and 40 for better fuel efficiency . Split the difference .

Personally I run all mine at manufacturers spec + 2 psi. I don't think running at +10psi to save fuel does any favours to wheels, suspension and steering components, ride quality etc. Toyota didn't research this for someone to know better.

Back