Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Whats the furthest you've ever traveled with your cruiser?

No idea about distance but about 20 hours behind the wheel because i failed to realize the UK is quite a big place too and home can be several hours away even when your home . A mistake i won't make again .

In 2000 I drove non-stop (except fuel, food and loo stops) from Katherine Gorge just outside Darwin, to Cairns in our FJ45. It took 36 hours to do approx 1,600 miles. Driving was 'shared' between 5 of us, though I ended doing the vast majority as their driving frightened me! The highlights included a cattle stampede at night, hitting a kangaroo and being overtaken by a road-train.

being overtaken by a road-train.
I was driving from South Queensland to Lightning Ridge NSW, only about 800km, on a single track tarmac road with dirt hard shoulders in my friends dads car, when we were approached by a road train and my mate said pull over quick they won't stop, so I did, as it went by we were covered in dust, it was like being in a sandstorm.

2008 - Wicklow to Timbuktu. 8,000 kms. Flew home.

2014 - Wicklow to the eastern end of The Gambia and back. 15,000 kms.

oops.... just reread the thread title - 2008 wasn't in a LandCruiser. It was a Toyota though, a 1994 Carina!!

Crispin - I also seem to recall you did a trip of a few yards, in several hours beside a stream a while back in your 120..... sorry, that must belong in the "What's the furthest you haven't travelled in your cruiser" thread. ;) :tonguewink:

Was that the epic rescue stint? I remember that post (if it was) otherwise, are you holding something back Cris?

I have, several times now taken my truck from home ( Sussex uk) to Genoa Italy, or Marseille France, ferried across to Tunis, through Tunisia, turned left into Libya & carried on into Egypt where I have headed south across the western desert to the Gilf Kebir, carried on south to Karkur tahl venturing into Sudan, then back north through the great sand sea and Libya Tunisia etc to home.
Just looked at my last track log and on the last trip which was 3 months after gadaffi was killed ( unfortunately Libya is just too dodgy now) I did a total of 10936 miles, of which approx imately 3000 of which was completely off road.
The longest duration I have ever done without seeing any villages,habitation, fuel, food or water supplies in the desert was 20 days, pretty remote stuff, my fuel & water supplies were massive, and not once did the truck miss a beat. Not even a puncture thanks to the bfg at's ( a few big cuts though)
On returning back to Genoa on that occasion I drove non stop through the night,( thanks to long range tanks filled with cheap Libyan diesel), except for one pee break in a lay by , until I got to the tunnel at Calais, that night if I recall correctly was over 850 miles to home,

Just wish I could go again now, but alas Isis have put paid to that for the foreseeable future

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just completed 11600 km trip to Greece and back over 11 weeks, driving all day every day on various terrains. Turned over 200,000 miles during the trip as well.

I started 6 years ago and am still going. 8.67 million miles on the odometer. Pluto just coming up so I'm going to stop for refueling. I forgot to let the tyres down before take off so they burst on entering vacuum.

nearly 30K miles. left 'home' in Seattle (moved out - no longer) up to Alaska with family (1 wife, 3 kids) + trailer and then down to Argentina, shipped outa Uruguay to Southampton, then up to Scotland and across to Ireland which is home for the moment until next trip. took 1 year

We arrived home after our trip to the UK and back last night. The trip was 8,102 kms (5063 miles) with the biggest day being 804 kms, plus several days in the 700s. The truck returned 29 mpg (exactly) and we were fully loaded both ways. We cruise most of the time between 56-62mph with the occasional dash up to 65 and possibly above (!) especially when we were late for the ferry! (But we just got it). A bit slow for most of you but the 40 is 40 years old next January. We saw JonFJ1969 and his 40 and 74 and stayed with Steve and Dawn for a night on the way back. Only one traffic jam in France and Spain, at Nantes on the way back but the UK certainly made up for it!

Regards,

Our longest trip? We have several under our belts in our 200 series (with photographs to confirm). Our single longest trip where we drove everu single day was this: We left from Muscat in Oman, then: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Up the Red Sea coast to Aqaba (Jordan) thru' to Syria, and across to Turkey and thence onto Maramaris. We returned to Aquaba, crossed Israel into the Sinai desert and then thru' the tunnel under the Suez canal to Cairo. From there we drove down the Nile to Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique & into Zimbabwe where we have a home. We returned to Muscat via Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Sudan, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Saudi, UAE and back into Oman where I was working at the time. We clocked nearly 32,000kms (nearly 20,000 miles) in the three months we were away. We took bundles of photos with the car as Toyota Oman asked us to record the trip for them. The car was fitted with a Long Ranger fuel tank, under body water tanks (a big mistake), ARB suspension and steel bumpers, a 12,000 Warn winch (not used), a WindCheetah roof rack with a Fiamma awning (constantly used), a double door 95 litre fridge freezer which required one rear seat to be removed. We also had the windows tinted. As standard the car had a very good fridge between the front seats. We did this road trip as a family; me, my wife and our four kids. We reliously changed the engine oil every 3000km's as well - using Toyota garages where they existed to maintain our warranty.
I would not ever do such a trip again in a 200 series - we could not get low sulphur diesel in many places and we had to have a complete motor overhaul once back in Muscat which cost a fortune as we were loosing power and belching black smoke. We now have a heavily modified 100 series and am happier with this. Our next trip is to see how quickly we can drive from London - Cape Town - London but that trip shall be done with two friends as we intend to do it non-stop, literally stopping only for refuelling, food and desperate bathroom stops. The only thing preventing us going is the war currently in Syria. We believe the trip shall take us 11 days each way, based on our knowledge of the route.

Furthest in 1 go was probably when I bought it and drove home about 350miles on 1 tank of fuel! Stopped for loo and coffee.
After that laning trips round Wales from York

Back