Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel spacers for 90 swb

greengrass

Country Flag
england
Hello all,
just wanted to pick your experienced /expert brains.

Are wheel spacers a good idea??

Is there any benefit other than visual effect??

Do they improve handling or stability for example??

Itching to start modding my 90 not really sure where to start, wouldn't mind improving the handling a bit.
At the moment my hilux leaves my collie for dead through the bends, I know its not a vehicle I should be driving like that but I do enjoy a good hack through the lanes. My hilux is so much better through the lanes/roundabouts etc, would love to get the collie somewhere near to the 'lux.
Any ideas would be appreciated folks

I've run 30mm spacers on my collie for the past 8 years, and have not once had a problem. I would think logically they would improve your handling as they increase your track and therefore stability of the vehicle. My best bet for handling though would be through better suspension, and maybe your tyres/wheels.

With me running on low profile, road tyres, she handles more like my vw golf around the corners, if not better.

Would i be right in thinking you bought the collie to be your daily ride so you could turn your hilux into a fullblown mudplugger ?

I would love to turn my hilux into a mud plugger but I use it for work dragging my plant trailer around. I bought the Collie to replace my car(Much prefer driving a 4x4 than an mpv) and also be a spare tow vehicle if required.

I don't really want to go down the low profile tyre route as I'm on and off building sites and flash wheels with posh tyres don't mix well with off cuts of steel reinforcing,nails,screws etc.
I wondered if the spacers might be a good starting point. All the bushes, anti-roll bar drop links, springs and shocks are in a1 order. It does feel like the outside back corner seems to dip quite a bit when cornering hard,I'm reluctant to uprate the rear springs at the expense of comfort.

I think I'm probably just used to the way the hilux drives, I've put 197k on it since december 2005 so its like a second home. It does go round bends rather well considering its got cart springs on the back end :icon-wink:

First thing you want is alloys from an 80 series landcruiser they are wider and have a zero offset so no need for spacers .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Straight swap no hassle but your choice of tyre will make a difference . I have steel wheels and much bigger tyres , it makes things far more agricultural because of all the added weight and is not what i gather you want .

Last edited:
hello shayne, i see you mentioned that 80 series alloys willl offer similar effect to spacers? are the collie alloys not a zero offset also? and how much wider would 80 series alloys sit out over standard 90 alloys?

I have 80 alloys on my Collie (VZJ95). The OEM Collie alloys are -15 offset, whereas the 80 alloys are 0 offset. So you have gained the 15mm there straight away. In addition the 80 alloys are a inch wider at 8" - so you gain a around 12mm due to that too. Altogether pretty much the same as 30mm spacers and the added benefit that the 80 alloys look better IMHO too.

Last edited:
The 90 alloys are -15 offset and not -30 as I originally said. Post corrected.

Back